The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dream horse had to be euthanized after developing shipping fever from a horrific hauling experience from the Midwest to Texas. Where can I locate specific DOT regulations regarding length of time horse can be in a trailer withing an overnight layover? Also specific length of time a single driver can be behind the wheel? How many hours they can travel without unloading for any type of rest, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The health certificates were all in order. This was a negligent driver problem. A 13-hour haul took over 33 hours for my poor horse. Thank you in advance. I've tried web searches and calls to DOT but not having much luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
Type in DOT regulations for hauling livestock. You can also go to www.fmcsa.dot.gov>elds>regulations

·
Registered
693 Posts
"Hours of Service" guidelines indicate:

May not drive more than 11 hours during a 14 hour work period, and must have 10 hours off between work periods, and may not work more than 60hrs/7 days or 70hrs/8 days. There's a link on the FMCSA website, but I can't seem to post it from mobile.

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
Was this a professional or commercial hauler or some one with a trailer trying to make a buck? What types of weather and road conditions were being traveled through? How many drivers were in the vehicle? If it is a rig that needs a cdl driver than just because there are two people doesn't mean two drivers. Were there other horses being hauled that meant stops to drop off and pick up?

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
I also wanted to say I am sorry for the loss. It's always hard but something preventable just adds to the pain .

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
I've hauled from the upper midwest to TX. The trip was made in two days with frequent stops. The horses were never taken off the trailer but hay was available as long as trailer was moving. Water was put in when my time we stopped for a break. They were given their normal feed when we stopped for the night and before we left the next day. The water and additional hay was put on the floor so they had to stretch for it. Same. If we stopped for 30 minutes or longer. There were no shavings. To keep dust down. Because it was along trip and these were young inexperienced horses they were not tied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.