The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My semi-retired mare (age 28, former gamer) has not fared well this winter (Wisconsin). She is sore all over and appears visibly in pain, especially in the front, when walking or turning. Last year at this time, she was doing pretty good. Vet saw her yesterday and just did a physical and says she is arthritic and stiff all over and recommends daily Equioxx. Sounds reasonable to me but I can't count the times when discussing arthritis pain in the past, that people recommend supplements and swear by their favorite one. Well, of course, she is already on supplements-Devil's claw, MSM, chondroitin, glucosamine. It's not enough though.

So, Equioxx. What are people's experience? Vets says daily dose but what about being on a reduced daily dose or alternating daily dose? I'll ask the vet also but in case she says, just do a full tablet a day, wanted to see what other's with experience have done. I do worry about kidney damage for my mare and also other side effects. Vet says there are "no side effects" but I'm not naive enough to believe that.

I say she is semi retired because I do very lightly ride her once every week or two. 10-20 minutes just walk or trot around in the indoor ring where footing is not too hard and not too deep (basically while my daughter rides). She is turned out 24/7 but the uneven ground during the frozen winter and uneven muddy spring limits her range. I do think movement helps her but I don't want to see her in pain.

Someone brought up the idea of testing for Lyme's disease. Is this reasonable? Vet didn't bring it up. My mare is certainly notably different this year than last but, to be honest, I've been expecting this day where she is needing extra special care. She doesn't have swollen joints. She is not crabby. She is sweet and as mellow as can be. She doesn't have a fever. Is a Lyme's tests a stretch?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a similar experience as you. My older mare (late 20s at the time) was extra stiff. I thought arthritis and brought that up to my vet. Vet said let's test for lyme and other tickborne diseases. It was lyme. it reocurred a few times as well as a re occurrence with anaplasmosis. We have a tick problem in our area. We went through 2 months of doxy the first time and that helped a lot. Each re occurence we did a round of doxy. We also did iv antibitoics when the anaplasmosis came back positive.

That said, after an amount of time she did start getting stiff without relation to the lyme. I used equioxx tabs daily. I did a month on and then 2 weeks off. This was several years ago when it was first approved for use in horses. so I am sure that more is known about it now and instructions have changed. But anyway- equioxx did help her stiffness in ways that supplements couldn't touch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 34 year old pony has been on Equioxx for about 2 years. He is doing great on it. Have not seen any noticeable problems with using it. Will do blood work next month, just had the blood work for Cushings done. There is a rebate on that product if you decide to use it. Go to the manufactures website. My pony gets a half a pill once a day. It is not cheap. I buy from Alivet.com

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
The horse I ride is on Previcoxx, which is the same drug but packaged for dogs. I think it might actually be cheaper in that format. In her case, she's a large warmblood, and only needs a quarter of a pill per day. But I'd have to look at the dosage, because that's kind of meaningless. I DO know that horses actually need a substantially lower dose than dogs!

She's 23 and is on it to help with stiffness and discomfort from age-related arthritis. She hasn't had any side effects with it. I might not be inclined to use it on a horse that had a history of ulcers or other digestive concerns, but she's absolutely fantastic on it. Noticeable difference, for sure, though it does take a couple to a few weeks to really kick in in a noticeable way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts