The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the Horse Forum site and fairly new to the horse world. I've only been riding for the last 3 or so years and this spring I am getting a horse of my own! Once the ground thaws we have to put up a fence and then I can make the big purchase! Yes, I understand horses are a lot of time and money and I know what I am getting into. But in the time from now until this spring I would like to start purchasing items for "my horse." I know I can't get saddles/bridles or any of the big tack items but I was wondering what I could get. If you guys have any good ideas on stuff I should be getting or an idea of what kind of fencing I should use it would be greatly appreciated! Please get specific too, for example not just "brushes," but dandy brush, curry comb, mane and tail brush, somewhere along those lines! Thanks so much!:) If you could also put what I will need to get once I have "my horse" that would also be great!

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
I use a minimum of equipment.

I have a rubber curry, stiff brush, soft brush, hoof pick, and small mane/tail comb. I get brushes in the mid-range of prices and make sure they are comfortable to hold.

I often make my own fly spray, if flies are an issue in your area.

Options for fencing depends somewhat on where you live and on how large or small your pastures and/or paddocks are going to be.

You can get great, great information from you county extension office. Every county in the US has one. They have information on everything from horse health to pasture management, fencing, weed control, nutrition, plans for automatic waterers or for solar tanks, you can often get trees for windbreaks through their office. So much.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Having a vet kit is a good idea as well
here's a list of what's in mine-
Thermometer, Vet Wrap, Gauze rolls, Non-stick gauze pads, Rubber Gloves, Hoof pick, Diapers, Scissors, Clean sanitised bucket, Blender (bute pills), Duct tape, Polo wraps, Jug of water

Betadine Scrub (Iodine, for washing), Betadine Solution (Iodine, for soaking), Triple Antibiotic (Neosporin), Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, SWAT, Bute (Must be purchased from Vet), Banamine, Desatin, Aspirin, Powder, Electrolytes, Epsom Salts, Wonder Dust, Terramyacine, Bigeloil, Ichthamol, Fura Septin, Mineral Oil, Anti-bacterial Soap, Vaseline

Now, you definitely don't need everything I have. This is years of accumulation haha but just start building your own with what you want in it.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
There are many recipes for fly spray on the internet.

The one I use has canola oil, pine cleaner, and water. I even keep extra bottles of it to give to people who have run out at games or when working on ranches.

My first aid kit is basic, too. Some triple antibiotic, banamine, furazone and betadyne. That's about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For fly spray I mix equal parts white vinegar and water then a couple drops of eucalyptus essential oils. I would worry about putting pine cleaner on my horse....

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
For fly spray I mix equal parts white vinegar and water then a couple drops of eucalyptus essential oils. I would worry about putting pine cleaner on my horse....
You are welcome to your worry, but I and many, many others have been using fly sprays with this as an ingredient for years on horses with no ill effects.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The vet clinic that I work at would definitely advise you to stay clear of putting pine cleaner on your horse. If you aren't going to put it on yourself, don't put it on your horse. It is the smell of the pine cleaner that keeps the bugs away so why not find essential oils that smell the same when put together so you don't risk chemical burns or rashes on a sensitive skinned horse?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
A nice big tack box to keep everything in ;D

Also, depending on the seller's situation, they may be willing to include some tack/equipment with the horse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.