The Horse Forum banner

Equistar and SSG Gloves?

957 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  InexcessiveThings
I'm looking at buying these riding boots and gloves. Any thoughts? I don't need top-quality stuff, but I'd like these to last for a few years.

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/all...fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100684#customerReviews

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/sli...rPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn#customerReviews

Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
I can't help you on the boots, as I have not ever used that brand, but the gloves I have used. I prefer the SSG all-weather gloves to the grippy ones like you've linked to. While they were comfortable and cool for summer riding, both kinds didn't last long for me. They had holes in them within a few months of riding and just wore out rather more quickly than I expected. So I've never had a pair of SSG gloves last me more than about a year before I had to toss them, even with repairing holes a couple times. I wouldn't expect them to last much longer than that. There's a reason they're so cheap.

Leather gloves tend to hold up better for a few years of use if you take good care of them.

· Registered
15,208 Posts
I have SSG 10 below gloves, which are too warm for -10C, but I have used them -15C and they are about right at that temp. They fit good, so I image the schooling gloves would as well, as for durability, I only wore my gloves a few times because they are too hot and I don't ride too much at -15C. The boots look decent, but looks can be deceiving.

· Super Moderator
18,554 Posts
I wonder about the boot quality when a pair of shoes cost as much or more....
Leather or not and I realize these are not leather...they are cheap.
You do get what you pay for....

I searched for other reviews and rating on the brand...
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/equistar-ladies-allweather-synthetic-field-boot-8967#reviewsTab
Interesting how numerous the ratings were on SmartPaks site... :think:

As for gloves...
I have used that brand in leather gloves and they were nice and well sized, comfortable with long enough fingers for my hands.
Have them also in winter weight and they were so warm my hands would sweat...
I am not a fan of any cotton, all cotton glove as for me they stretch to much I find.
Cooler yes, but not comfortable when they stretch and twist on my hands...
I would rather use a pair of goatskin palm and crochet back gloves..breathes and cooler to wear but durable and good grip with no stretch or twist.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo..

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Thank you!! Do you know of any good brands that are on the lower side in terms of prices? I know low price with high quality is very rare, but these don't have to be Ariats or anything-- I just want boots and gloves that will last me a couple years.

Thanks again!!

· Registered
190 Posts
Noble Outfitters "perfect fit" gloves aren't bad, and not too expensive. I know I said that the SSG All-weather gloves didn't last for me, but you might still give those a try too. I tend to be hard on gloves, so they may last longer for someone else than they did me. I like them, they just didn't hold up to the heavy use I put them through.

My favorite boots are actually Mountainhorse, but they weren't cheap. I got them on sale for about $200, and they're in excellent shape having been used sparingly for the last five years and I would highly recommend them if you want boots that will last. That aside, since you're looking for less money, TuffRider makes a synthetic field boot that's about a hundred bucks on stateline. I haven't tried those specifically, but my general experience with their products is good. I had a pair of synthetic paddock boots by them that held up pretty well. However, the soles spit after about a year and a half, maybe two years hard use both riding and as shoes for casual wear. A pair of field boots used only for riding and not mucking, yard work, daily wear, etc. like I subject my paddock boots to likely would hold up a little better.

Be forewarned however, that any non-leather boot, while you may not have to worry about water with them, they simply do not hold up to the rigors of riding the way leather does. You can probably have a pair of synthetic boots last you a couple years if you don't abuse them but I wouldn't expect much beyond that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.