The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was at my barn yesterday its a pretty big one, with three sections that board about 12 horses each. I'm in Barn A and the hallways are pretty narrow but it's decent. So I was basically there the whole day, I'd say from 1:30 to 7:30... I'm in the tack room and I'm arranging my tack box and it was very quiet.. All of a sudden I heard the clip-clop of hooves and then silence.. And I'm thinking wow somebody slipped in here quietly.. I open the tack room door and BOOM! A big unhaltered dutch draft face staring at me like "Uh Oh she got me!" I tried to halter him myself and I managed to get it halfway on until he pinned me with all of his drafty weight against the wall.. So i had to get the farmhand to help me wrangle him.. turns out whoever cleaned the stall forgot to latch it back.. and I found it funny that he had waited all day until the coast was clear to make a break for it.

Do you have any escape artists??

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
I have two that are brilliant at it so have to have clips on their doors all the time and one that can open the door of the horse next to her but can't open her own - unless that's her cunning plan of course!!

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I had a mare that had to be tied with two ropes. Took her about an hour to get both undone. She was also adept at opening gates. One pasture has only a single strand of electric which the horses respected. The Shetland would stand back about 30 ft then suddenly make a mad dash and run under the wire without getting zapped. To come back in, she did something horses never do. She'd run along the fence to the farthest corner, and duck under where there was a low area in the ground. She never went out there, only returned.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I have a gelding that would escape when we went camping and was tied to a hitching post or high line. Sometimes he untied himself, sometimes slip the halter off and if both those failed he could get the lead unsnapped. Never could figure out how he accomplished that last thing since he was on a high line and not close enough to anything to rub on.

He's been known to come looking for me when visiting other camps or riding another horse, hide between two draft mules, load himself into someone else's trailer in the middle of the night, among the usual of just stopping at the nearest patch of grass to graze.

Thankfully, before his retirement, he was known and loved by all at horse camp because he's such a character so whoever found him always knew where he belonged. LOL

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
My first horse was a 14 hh quarab, she would clear our 5ft fences at a stand still to go check out the neighbors geldings. She only did it when she was in.
The neighbors got used to it and we'd let her stay there a few days so she wouldn't get hit by a car.

Crazy mare!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.