The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoroughbred is my only horse, and when I let him out in his paddock, he neighs to the horses a little bit down the road, and of course they reply, and it works my horse up to the point of galloping and stopping abruptly at the closest to the horses and keeps bucking and freaking out for sometimes up to half an hour ! Almost making it seem like hes going to jump ! :cry: Getting him a companion is out of the question :-| and normally he is perfectly happy being the only horse and being the star of attention ! Ive been giving him a few drops Bach Rescue Remedy when I let him out, worked for a few days and now not so much:cry: any ideas on what to do or what could help ? Thanks !:)

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
I think you really only have one solution - other than to totally isolate your horse - and that's to get him a companion of some sort
Sooner or later he will jump out - TB's are known for being crazily brave when they get some stimulus to jump but self preservation often doesn't come in to that
You can't keep him sedated all the time on the off chance that other horses will come by and Baches Remedy is more of an anti anxiety so wony reduce his determination
Sorry I can't offer any better advice

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Horses are herd animals, and even those that seemingly doing "OK" alone still do better with other horses. With your horse kept alone, but able to see/hear/smell horses just a little down the road, he probably WILL try to jump the fence eventually.

From the perspective of keeping him in, high fences with strong electric wire will deter most horses. He may still try it, and if he's a talented jumper he may make it over the fence even if you think it's plenty high.

Even if you can't get another horse, you should consider getting some type of companion- some horses do well with a sheep, goat, or cow companion, for example.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
161 Posts
I once owned a horse who's attitude resembled that of Grumpy Cat lol
She was a loner who veritably despised other horses and was absolutely content having a pasture to herself.
That being pronounced, there was even a time where the cold heart'ed pony longed for companionship.
Not for long mind you but for a petite time she rather enjoyed associating with the mules. lol. she still loathed other horses. strange horse but marvelous for riding alone and adored human interaction.

How long has he been the only horse?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
If your horse is running around screaming at the other horses down the road he isn't happy. Their instinct tell them they need to be with other horses. Just because a horse is "mean" to the others doesn't mean they don't want company or shouldn't have company. Get another small horse, a boarder or something. Problem solved! :wink:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
65 Posts
A horse now at our barn had been left alone in a pasture, and while she is a very independent horse and doesn't seem to care for other horses much, she got her leg tangled in some wire that was covered by snow in her attempt to visit the horses down the road from her pasture. If you don't want your horse getting hurt, you likely need to get him a companion or move him to a barn with other horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Agree, he's obviously not happy and even though some can tolerate solitude there are very very few who actually want it. My Icelandic is very very independent but she still enjoys hanging out with her friends when she wants that. Anything you do will be avoiding the issue, you won't make him any happier and could make things even worse. He needs a companion.

Short of that the only way to reliably solve (avoid) the issue is to have him out of sight AND hearing range of the other horse. Once he's learned to get out it's not gonna be pretty or fun keeping him in. You could shut him inside all day.. Sedate him...No good solution. It's just a matter of time before he goes through the fence not to mention all the stress he is putting himself through and health issues that could cause and I'm sure he would be easier for you if he were more relaxed too.

As said, a companion does not need to be another horse.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Ugh. Not a goat.
If he is let out of a paddock, he probably has excess energy and a desire to stretch his legs, anyway. Do you know what his actions are when no horses "sound off" to him? After his half hour of kicking up his heels does he calm down and pick? Or?

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Why is getting him a companion out of the question? Does that include boarding another horse/animal? If it is, then IMO the only alternative is to board him somewhere with other horses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.