The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am based in Switzerland, I’m a 40yo rerider looking to build up my confidence around horses, get more used to their reactions/movements/protests from the ground to complement my weekly riding private lesson. I have just been turned down as “stall helper” by my BO (with whom I haven’t got the best of chemistry but hey, the barn is close to home, nice horses and I have a stellar teacher there). This is a country where you can’t really “volunteer” at the barns, you need certificates, supervision etc. So: I’m looking for clinics, ground work weekend courses, retreats, anything at all that I could do! UK, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia really anywhere in Europe. Any place/activity to recommend? Also, anyone here speaks good German? The above-mentioned BO is suggesting I try to get some sort of certification but I cannot really judge from the description she sent whether this exam makes sense for me or even in general. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you looking for courses that get you the certificates to volunteer at a barn or are you looking for courses to help you and your horse?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking for courses that get you the certificates to volunteer at a barn or are you looking for courses to help you and your horse?
courses or weekend clinics etc to build confidence around them (ground work, I imagine, or balance lessons even to work on my seat).

·
Registered
522 Posts
You could check out the State Stud Redefin. Landgestüt Redefin - Pferdezucht in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (landgestuet-redefin.de)

They have some courses, or had some courses--not sure how much the Pandemic is still affecting things over there.

My German is still very much in beginner phase, but I'm quite sure there is a poster on here that is fluent--perhaps she'll see this thread.

Good luck, that sounds like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I had a lovely time at this place:

They do dressage, jumping and lunge lessons. I don’t think they do ground work though, you could ask them. The horses seem to be absolutely perfect and in seven days I was there (and watched every single lesson they gave) I didn’t see a single misstep by any of the horses. One of the girls was a total beginner and six days later she was riding better than I did after two years of lessons (she was an amateur dancer so maybe that helped a bit but I was envious, I have to admit).

The place itself is very charming, it’s an old farm in Tuscany. You can also visit Florence and Sienna and many other Tuscan villages but I personally preferred to watch other people ride in my free time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts