The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think its right to kill and eat any animal? I mean if you ride a horse, dont you think a goat, or lamb, cow, or even chicken should be treated with love also? Its not their fault their a different breed, or species. I mean, do you all think its right to kill a animal, or breed a animal just so it can be eaten? And i know lots of people may say, but what about lettuce it grows, and you rip it up and chew it, but i dont think anyone has lettuce as a pet. Its just dont you think a cow should be treated with love, and affection, just like you would treat a horse or a dog? And its sorta of cruel in my opinion, we actually have a farm down the road, they keep baby cows in about 5 feet by 2 feet pens and feed them, and then slaughter them, they do this so they live horrible lives where they cant build muscle and its just fat. Also, when they kill chickens, if the chickens dont die from a heart attack first, this is how they slaughter them-they put the chickens alive on a conveyor belt on the ceiling of the factory or whatever, the chickens hang by their feet and soon run into a blade, it usually cuts off their head, though sometimes, a chicken either doesn't get killed by the blade, or either just gets cuts and bleeds to death, OR they continue to hang on the belt completely alive until they go through the cycle again, or die of a heart attack. And its not just cattle, chickens, or pigs. Its all animals, in some country's they eat animals you call pets, like Germany eats horses, some places eat dogs, and cats, and America has tons of animal cruelty problems, which include setting animals such as puppys and kittens on fire, whether on a BBQ grill or in a dirt pit, some just get abused or neglected, other buried alive, some buried only with their head sticking out and then ran over by lawn mowers, some shot, some "pet" birds get stuck in toasters and ovens, hamsters usually get stuck in microwaves, which to some people is funny, either way, post your thoughts on this subject.

·
Registered
480 Posts
honestly it sickens me about how animals die, i feel so bad for each and every suffering. But it's the way of life.. It's the circle of life that we can't change. In the wild, animals eat others lower than them on the food chain. We need meat in our diets. I just wish there was a more humane way for these animals...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly it sickens me about how animals die, i feel so bad for each and every suffering. But it's the way of life.. It's the circle of life that we can't change. In the wild, animals eat others lower than them on the food chain. We need meat in our diets. I just wish there was a more humane way for these animals...
I agree we do, but fish is meat! my friends dad is vegan, he is like 50 years old and his skin hasnt aged at all, i think meat and sugar is a really big problem when it comes to aging.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I come from a family of hunters, elk and deer mostly. Also fishing. That's what the majority of livestock is here for. To eat. Not to be pets. The baby cows are made into veal. I don't like the taste of it, but I know a lot of people that do. As well as lamb chops.

And you're talking about two different things. Livestock versus abuse of pets. Not all slaughterhouses use cruel methods. There should be more regulations to make sure dispatching the animal is humane.

I find a lot of hypocritical people out there that say don't eat cows or other animals but these same people drive in cars with leather seats, wear leather shoes, carry leather wallets and handbags. Makes me wonder if they know where those come from.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I don't like death. I will be the first to admit that I could probably not butcher my own animal. However many of the animals we have today would probably die out if it weren't for us eating them. The big one in mind being cows. Or become hugely over populated with nowhere to go (because of humans) the biggest example being deer.

So long as the animal is treated as humane as possible, I don't think raising them to kill them is cruel. During their life, I think they should be in a clean, well - ventilated shelter, be treated with respect, and not abused. Contrary to what peta and youtube videos tell you, a lot of the times this is the case.

As far as horses, I'd rather we raised specific horses for human consumption. Regulate them like cattle or pigs, process them here in America. There's obviously a lot more details that would have to be sorted for that to happen, but I'd back it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating dogs, cats, etc. My one issue is with bush meat or any other endangered animal/poaching. If they were not in danger of dying out you could eat a gorilla for all I care. So long as it is treated with dignity in life and death.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I mean, do you all think its right to kill a animal, or breed a animal just so it can be eaten?
Absolutely. I like meat. I think it would be way meaner to eat it while it was still alive :lol:.

You will find animal abuse in SOME slaughter houses, but certainly not all. You will also find it in plenty of homes....to animals that are SUPPOSED to be their pets. Put your efforts towards stopping that instead of trying to convince people that animals should not be slaughtered and that all slaughter houses abuse animals.

And hey, if you feel so strongly about it...do something that can make a difference. I'm sure you already know that whining about it here won't change a thing. I find that most people who start this kind of thread don't really want to actually DO anything anyway...they just want to get a debate or argument started.

BTW, what does this have to do with horse health?

·
Registered
341 Posts
i'm vegetarian because i dont agree with how the animals COULD be treated. i mean if 50% of the slaughterhouses were humane and the other half inhumane, do you really always know what meat is coming from where? i dont hunt personally (not because im against it), but i would rather eat a deer that lived its whole life free, than a cow or chicken that was penned up its whole life whether it was treated well or not. whether anyone wants to accept it or not, they still feel pain and they will still fight to live as long as they can, just like we do. (believe me, im not trying to bash anyone who eats meat, thats just how i feel :] )

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
All the beef cattle here are free range. They wander on thousands and thousands of acres. Same with the sheep where I live in NZ. You can buy free range. You can do your research and make the correct steps if you want to know where your meat is coming from.
Yes animals feel pain, but they can be killed before they know what is happening if done correctly. Of course there are bad people. Just because other people abuse their horses, dogs, cats, children...doesn't mean I won't have them. I'll just educate myself and make my own decisions :)

If I lived my life avoiding things because of the worst case scenario... well I'd be SOL.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
All the beef cattle here are free range. They wander on thousands and thousands of acres. Same with the sheep where I live in NZ. You can buy free range. You can do your research and make the correct steps if you want to know where your meat is coming from.
Yes animals feel pain, but they can be killed before they know what is happening if done correctly. Of course there are bad people. Just because other people abuse their horses, dogs, cats, children...doesn't mean I won't have them. I'll just educate myself and make my own decisions :)

If I lived my life avoiding things because of the worst case scenario... well I'd be SOL.

Exactly!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I want to start with, I don't always fully agree with HOW animals are killed, and I am not necessarily and advocate for "eat meat." But I do believe that it is a way of life, and in some people it is necessary to eat meat. I know some vegans don't agree, but everybody's body is different. My mom went on a diet when I was a kid, the diet consisted mainly of grains and veggies and occasionally chicken but not often. She became very ill and was hospitalized. It turned out that her personally, her body, requires a certain amount of enzymes that are only found in red meat or she will get violently ill and could eventually die. I'm sure that for every vegan out there, there is probably another person like my mom. Does it make it okay to kill animals to eat, I don't know.

But aside from that there is other reasoning I think. Lets take White Tail deer. They are plentiful in many states, and these states have deer hunting season to control their population. What would happen if their was no deer season? Well, the deer would overpopulate the region. They would then eat everything in site causing the starvation and death of other species (starvation is a cruel way to die). The deer would also start dying off of starvation. Then disease would start cropping up and passing around the species...another not so pretty way of dying. The deer would be everywhere, getting in the roads hit by cars...um..yeah, real humane there and have you ever seen what happens to a deer when a semi hits it???? The way I see it, a fast bullet causing instant death is by far much more humane than the previous deaths caused by not hunting them. Anything FAST is humane.

If everyone suddenly stopped using cattle, pigs, etc for meat then they too would start overpopulating and have the same result. We already have a stray dog/cat situation I really don't see where the world would be we added livestock to those numbers.

We also have to remember, different cultures are raised differently and see different things as okay, and every day parts of life. It's okay to have our own beliefs, but as we would not want people telling us that our beliefs suck, or are wrong, etc etc, we need to remember that other people deserve the same respect and try to keep ourselves from tearing apart their belief system.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
My family has always raised their own meat...we bred, showed, and then later brought them to a local butcher. Yes, it's hard to do, but atleast we know where it's coming from, and what's gone into it...even, down to how it's been treated. My parents still raise their own. We also hunt. As soon as I can get my own place (rented or bought) with enough land, I will raise my own stock for the purpose of food, again, as well...eggs, meat, milk, etc. I miss it, and my livestock are ALL treated with much love and appreciation, even the ones destined for my dining table.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think there is anything wrong with eating dogs, cats, etc.
Why should they be treated differently just because we haven't found a use for them yet, cats usually get thrown in pots alive and boiled, im not sure about dogs, and horses usually get cross tied and have there heads cut off, sometimes used on cattle to.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Why should they be treated differently just because we haven't found a use for them yet, cats usually get thrown in pots alive and boiled, im not sure about dogs, and horses usually get cross tied and have there heads cut off, sometimes used on cattle to.
What the HECK are you talking about? Because you sure as heck know nothing about how animals are actually slaughtered.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
they do this so they live horrible lives where they cant build muscle and its just fat.
Most cattle, and horses get slaughtered by being tied to cross ties and getting there heads cut off, not to humane in my opinion.
Im not talking about just in America, its in Germany, china, Korea, and the veil farm down the road slaughters there cattle like that.
It is impossible to have an intellectual conversation about a topic when the person bringing it up shows that they lack even the most basic amount of facts on the topic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating dogs, cats, etc.
Two thumbs up for that too.

Since we can not get people to stop breeding them for no good reason why not make the over population useful.

The deer would also start dying off of starvation. Then disease would start cropping up and passing around the species...another not so pretty way of dying.
This is already happening. There are too many deer. Chronic wasting disease is a real problem because of deer over crowding issues.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But aside from that there is other reasoning I think. Lets take White Tail deer. They are plentiful in many states, and these states have deer hunting season to control their population. What would happen if their was no deer season? Well, the deer would overpopulate the region. They would then eat everything in site causing the starvation and death of other species (starvation is a cruel way to die). The deer would also start dying off of starvation. Then disease would start cropping up and passing around the species...another not so pretty way of dying. The deer would be everywhere, getting in the roads hit by cars...um..yeah, real humane there and have you ever seen what happens to a deer when a semi hits it???? The way I see it, a fast bullet causing instant death is by far much more humane than the previous deaths caused by not hunting them. Anything FAST is humane.
Yes, but that's the cycle of nature, animal slaughter can be at least cut back a little if SOME people put forth the effort and understand where im coming from, and its one thing to hunt if you need the food, its another if your hunting animals like prairie dogs just for the fun of it.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Why should they be killed and eaten due to peoples mistakes?
Well, they are already being killed in large quantities. Why is being eaten after you are already dead such a bad thing?

Dead is dead.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.