The Horse Forum banner

Examples of good conformation

1468 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Part-Boarder
So many of the horses posted for critique seem to have bad conformation. I’m curious about what good conformation in normal horses (ie not top show competitors but just average horses people have) looks like and what to look for in assessing conformation.

There may be existing posts on this but nothing came up when I searched so happy to get links to previous posts on this topic if any. Thanks!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I dont have an exampe at the moment, but I would like to say that it's not always that horses posted here have bad conformation, but rather that our 'job' as respondants to an inquiry on a hrose's conformation is to pick oout the weak points , since that is usually the concern of a potential buyer. Often the horses are 90% well conformed, and we all pick up on that wee little 10% problem area. Rarely is there a horse without some deficit.
Reactions: 3
Here is a link to a thoroughbred stallion, Raven Sky, that I consider to have wonderful conformation: Raven Sky Substantial bone, nice angles throughout, and a pretty face is a bonus.
Here are some links with a good basic tutorial along with the why's of what you are looking for. Remember conformation is only part of the picture. If they are sound and sane with the ability to achieve your goals and the temperament to get you there sometimes a few flaws aren't a biggie.

Reactions: 2
Here is a link to a thoroughbred stallion, Raven Sky, that I consider to have wonderful conformation: Raven Sky Substantial bone, nice angles throughout, and a pretty face is a bonus.
Just shows me how little I know - I find the top of his rump too flat and overall weird. And his entire body seems too long. (sorry, English is my second language, can’t think of the word for”top of the rump”).
Croup. I haven't looked at the link but some breeds will have slightly different acceptable conformation standards.
Reactions: 1
Each breed is different. To me , a quarter horse is a shorter stockier horse. TB are taller and leaner but still have good heavy bones, Arabs should have a slight dish face , round butts but a slighlty flatter croup. No horse should be skinny narrow chested.
Here are some links with a good basic tutorial along with the why's of what you are looking for. Remember conformation is only part of the picture. If they are sound and sane with the ability to achieve your goals and the temperament to get you there sometimes a few flaws aren't a biggie.

Great, thank you! I will check these out.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.