The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Absolutely a concern.

I stopped with the yearly deworming schedules that a vet used to give us - every year after the fecals were done, no matter the results, we would be handed a bag for each horse with a schedule and 4-5 tubes of dewormer in it. What's the purpose, other than flushing money down the toilet and decreasing the effectiveness of dewormers?

I'm really tempted to try a non-traditional deworming powder, No More Worms, Natures Magic Dust - a woman I worked for in college used this on her two draft-crosses and two miniature horses. She did fecal testing annually, and one of her ponies consistently struggled with always having issues with a high parasite load. This "magic dust" worked way better than traditional deworming pastes ever have.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
@ClearDonkey, I know Diatomaceous Earth (DE) as dewormer and for insect control is all the rage. However, it is important to know that it only keeps its abrasive properties (and hence how it works against insects and worms) when dry... Once it's ingested I would argue the dry part is out the window ;)
I'm just relaying my one experience with it 😉 The fecal test place was very doubtful of the effectiveness of the product but was shocked at the results of the fecal tests after using the product. When the woman I was working for told me about this, I did an internal eyeroll (previous to this she told me about the magic of essential oils saving her pony from dying from a vaccine) but her horses are by far the best kept and looking pasture pets I've ever seen!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts