The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread a while back about my horse that tossed his head randomly...well I talked to my vet when she was here last and she said that he had a lot of pain in his back and some in his neck that could be the cause. She also does chiro work so she came out and worked on him and my sister's horse and she is going to come back sometime soon for another session. Okay so yesterday I lunged him and hopped on him bareback and he was totally fine during this but late when I came out my sister told me that he had been tossing his head constantly. I watched him a while in the pasture and he was just standing there tossing his head up and down. He also did it some while he was eating his hay later but he isn't doing it today. The vet is coming again tomorrow to do shots and she's going to look at him again. Until then, do you think this is a pain thing or could it be a sign of a neurological problem?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When my horse did this, I was told to check her teeth.

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Teeth, ears are things to get checked. Sometimes even if the source of head tossing is addressed, it may become a chronic thing which the horse does out of habit.

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
^^correct.

If you had long term back pain, your going to walk funny to compensate. Even when you fix the pain, you'll still walk funny because you're so used to doing it.

First thing I check with head tossing is teeth and bit fit. If it's not resolved, also check saddle fit and overall health. (Vet and chiro check)

Keep tabs on your horse's pain. Just because the vet adjusted him once, doesn't mean that he'll be good to go forever.

Plus, you've got the habit thing to deal with too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the vet is coming today so she'll probably check out all the possible causes. She is also coming one day soon to do another session of chiro because she couldn't get very deep into the back muscle. She's going to try some acupuncture on him.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet just came. She did an endoscopy to see what was going on and found that his throat is inflamed and swollen but that it's nothing more than a sore throat basically. He had some kind of respiratory infection before Christmas and he was on medicine for like 2 weeks and we though he was better but the medicine apparently didn't get it all. She's going to get me a different antibiotic and we'll see how that works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.