The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still on the hunt for a saddle for my mare.

After trying many different saddles on her and paying for a custom saddle maker to measure her, as well as speaking to numerous people, I have decided that our best option right now is to just go treeless.

Once she is conditioned more I figure if I want to I can look into treed options again. But paying for a custom saddle just does not make sense to me right now especially when she will likely change so much.

NOW, on to the point of this thread. I do have a treeless saddle rep/body worker coming out later this week to let me demo a few different brands. I believe she carries Barefoot, Sensation & EZ Fit.

She seems to think I will like the EZ Fit the best, but I have never ridden in one so I can't really say.

However, on one of my buy/sell forums I am part of on FB, I have seen a used EZ Fit come up. I have never seen one used since I have been searching for a saddle. I know how quickly these things can move, so my question is......has anyone ever ridden in one? I have tried Barefoot and honestly didn't care for it.

This saddle checks all my boxes with regards to the look of it - I can do endurance AND western dressage in it. I am tempted to just buy it as I think I could probably re-sell it easy enough.

Any reviews? Thoughts on this particular brand?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Well, please keep us (and I mean me, LOL) updated on how they fit. I've only got one more saddle to try before I start looking at treeless...

Reactions: cbar

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I have two and love them. I was quite surprised how stable they are, most of my friends can even mount from the ground in them. I've ridden up and down mountains, swimming, galloping...all over the place and haven't had any issues. Just make sure you have a good pad still and take your time adjusting it. Do little adjustments until you get it just right....then take a picture!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two and love them. I was quite surprised how stable they are, most of my friends can even mount from the ground in them. I've ridden up and down mountains, swimming, galloping...all over the place and haven't had any issues. Just make sure you have a good pad still and take your time adjusting it. Do little adjustments until you get it just right....then take a picture!
I did read on a few reviews that they offer a more secure fit, which is what I'm thinking I will like about them.

This saddle that came up for sale is 10 years old. Anything different about the older models to stay away from? I know with Barefoot for example, they introduced the VPS system, but I'm not familiar with EZ Fit and if there are any specific questions I should ask.

What kind of pad do you use for your saddles?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The older saddles don't have the adjustable panels, thats the biggest thing I love about EZ Fits. If you're going to get one, used is fine (one of mine I bought used) I would just make sure it has the removable adjustable panels.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am subbing because I just bought a used one! Now waiting for it to arrive. I am also curious about what pad you use @evilamc ?
My horse has giant shoulders, defined wither, and is otherwise *ahem* very rotund.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I am subbing because I just bought a used one! Now waiting for it to arrive. I am also curious about what pad you use @evilamc ?
My horse has giant shoulders, defined wither, and is otherwise *ahem* very rotund.
I use a 5 star pad with one and an equipedic saddle with the other. Both work well! If a heavier rider (I'm a little on the fluffy side) a good felt pad is best, even better if you can get something with shims to help create more spine clearance.

5star pad

equipedic....but can't really see it, I know I have a better picture somewhere!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise @evilamc. I passed on the used one as it didn't have the adjustable panels.

I did actually end up putting an order in for a new one though and my saddle fitter recommended the pad that they sell. It isn't terribly expensive so figure I'll give it a shot, but I also have a couple 5 star pads I could try with it when it does get here.

I'm a little nervous, but I think treeless is my only option at this point. And my saddle fitter thought this saddle would have the least amount of issues regarding pressure points.

And cool enough, when the saddle was on my mare you could see the spinal clearance all the way through!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts