The Horse Forum banner

fake nails with horses?

1342 Views 29 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  My Salty Pony
hello,
I really want to get my nails done for the first time but I ride 6 days a week and do barn chores 3 day a week so would this work? (the ones I would get are short like the pictures I added)
Amazon.com: YOSOMK 24Pcs Press on Nails Short Square Fake Nails Full Cover  Stick on Nails Short French False Nails with Glue Acrylic Nails for Women &  Girls (Orange pink sequins) : Industrial
Finger Gesture Thumb Nail Material property

Body jewelry Nail polish Finger Gesture Nail care
Hand Plant Finger Gesture Water
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,800 Posts
I got nails to break my nail biting habit. They were a tiny bit longer than the tip of the finger. I wore gloves when riding or doing hard work but they were well done and tough and didn't scratch easily. I'm blessed with two horses that have never torn up my hands and are very polite but I worked with some mean ones while I had these one and never lost one. So yes, it can be done, but it takes some getting used to. Gel nails are nicer and aren't really prone to ripping off if they're done right. File them down as they get longer and get square or slightly rounded tips, not pointy.

I'd do it again as it was only $40 but it's a process, and I'd rather be buying a new bit than spending stuff on nails. If I marry a millionaire I'll do my nails twice a month and add a couple more polite horses to my herd that won't tear them up.

Reactions: jaydee

· Registered
609 Posts
hello,
I really want to get my nails done for the first time but I ride 6 days a week and do barn chores 3 day a week so would this work? (the ones I would get are short like the pictures I added)
Amazon.com: YOSOMK 24Pcs Press on Nails Short Square Fake Nails Full Cover  Stick on Nails Short French False Nails with Glue Acrylic Nails for Women &  Girls (Orange pink sequins) : Industrial
View attachment 1134681
View attachment 1134682 View attachment 1134683
I’ve gotten my nails done for years, even working multiple horses, stalls, unloading hay etc. does it hurt when you nail one wrong or break one? Sure but so does ripping natural nails.
if you have a GREAT tech they last, i went every 4 weeks for acrylics and rarely broke them. I now go every 2 weeks for gel tips from a friend and again haven’t had a problem breaking them.
don’t bother spending the money though if you go to a junk tech

76 Posts
Those aren't short. Likely to be ripped off. Depending on attachment and type could cause significant damage to your nails. Always wearing gloves for absolutely everything helps but doesn't mean they won't be damaged or couldn't be broken or torn off. It's not a case of if, as in many things horse, it's a case of when. A shorter, more rounded style is what some of those that have them wear and have the least issues with. Most though use the hoof maker dressings on themselves and take vitamins specifically to address nail strength. They keep a nail stick to clean under their nails and a white (?chalk) nail pencil to whiten the underside of the nail portion that's grown out as horse related activities are hell on polish.

View attachment 1134687 View attachment 1134688

These are short. There are several gel polishes and add ons or those that free hand artwork onto the base polish that are literally mini works of art. The girls at the barn tend to have their toes done fancy and wear sandals away from the barn. If they have their fingers done the polish coordinates with their toes.
You cannot rip them off easily and they are short the ones picture above are really really short. As someone with longer nails and that rides horses they hold up a long time and are not easily damaged. You will not have to adapt your work. The nails pictured above are worse because they provide less protection for your nail beds/fingers. Cutting your nails that short can actually cause nasty infections.

76 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,182 Posts
Short nails don't cause infections. No one has shown pictures of nails cut to the quick. I've seen nails ripped off around horses. Far more damage to ones that had fake nails. It may not have happened to you at this point. You're fortunate.

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,971 Posts
I"m rough enough on my own nails. Never had fake, never wanted them.
I can see myself out fixing fence with long nails. ROFL! Nope.
Kudos to those that can, but it's not me.

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,792 Posts
;) but it didn't hurt your nails, did it? :ROFLMAO:
Ha ha ha ha, my thumb nail got it a few times as well as my middle finger, Stan's hooves are so tiny I have to cup them in my hand at times so my fingers do get in the way sometimes, not all the time but sometimes if I'm not paying attention to my fingers, I use my hoof jack but sometimes you got to hold those tiny hooves to clip and rasp. With all the things I do out here my Nails/hands do take a beating..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts