The Horse Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Anita like and double like, very informative, should I test some of these theories or just take your word as the expert?
Oh by all means, do perform your own testing. So much more learning occurs in a "hands-on" environment!

@AnitaAnne I agree with your short horse theory since I broke my collar bone falling off an ahem.... miniature horse last year.

@SueC DH has a black belt in Taekwando (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) and he too spent a lot of time learning to fall. This is why I use him as my crash test dummy and put him on the crazies until they are suitable for me!
A mini? WOW! Those short ball players can be tough!

Need to test coefficient of friction and compaction of landing surfaces to determine impact forces.

This is hilarious. As someone who just finished up several classes dealing with these concepts (albeit without horses involved) I am deeply tempted to go do math and get some numbers!
Get those horses involved! Can't just crunch numbers...

I have a tremendous amount of experience with the ball game that @AnitaAnne discussed, and I concur with her theories.

:racing::racing::racing::racing::racing::falloff::falloff::falloff::falloff:
Yes, you have much valuable experience! Any one with a horse nicknamed the Psycho Princess obviously is an expert ball player!

I do believe we have enough volunteers for a entire team of ball players!!

Let the GAMES BEGIN :dance-smiley05:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
In a replication study, the results of the work group Me et al. have confirmed the data from the previously published study by AnitaAnne (2018). However, with regards to the variables of rider size and adipose tissue correlating wth the outcome of hematoma, this result was only confirmed in events that did not present with associated internal bleeding. Nevertheless, further research by our work group is necessary to confirm this anomaly, as this datum did not reach statistical significance (p-value ≤ 0.05)

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This member of the experimental/testing group is currently experiencing severe acidosis of the abdominal muscles from experiencing other falls vicariously and reading the associated outstanding contributions to the academic literature.

:racing: :falloff: :winetime: :racing: :falloff: :winetime:

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
In a replication study, the results of the work group Me et al. have confirmed the data from the previously published study by AnitaAnne (2018). However, with regards to the variables of rider size and adipose tissue correlating wth the outcome of hematoma, this result was only confirmed in events that did not present with associated internal bleeding. Nevertheless, further research by our work group is necessary to confirm this anomaly, as this datum did not reach statistical significance (p-value ¡Ü 0.05)
:bowwdown: This was priceless!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I need to hang this one on my wall...

I had nasal surgery back a few years ago and when they were waking me up from anesthesia I became frantic and asked where my horse was and is he ok...

The team giggled and interpreted my concern for my horse as a great love.

When they told me about it my thought was every other time I have woken up with a bunch of people leaning over and staring at me it was because the dang horse I was riding knocked me out :falloff:

Without any reins in my hands it was quite obvious he had taken off without me too :evil: :runpony:

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Disadvantage: Landing is similar to a meteor crashing into earth. The site of impact is easily discernable to all other riders in the area.
Sand is quite embarrassing. Did I really make a crater that large? Does it have to be shaped like that?

Obviously horse people know what happened here on Mars.

The only question is: What spooked the Martian horse?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hypothesis 1: The lack of oxygen in the Martian atmosphere?

...but then the crater would have been bigger, and next to a smaller accompanying crater, thinking about it...

...so I am assuming the horse was carrying oxygen tanks and wearing a mask. So:

Sub-hypothesis 1b: The horse was spooked by having to carry oxygen tanks, and having to wear a mask. Multi-sensory insult!

Hypothesis 2: The Martian moons, appropriately named Phobos (fear) and Deimos (terror). Double spook!

Looking forward to alternative hypotheses from other researchers.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Sand is quite embarrassing. Did I really make a crater that large? Does it have to be shaped like that?

Obviously horse people know what happened here on Mars.

The Martian horse has claimed to have seen this; the Mars Lander Crash Bags (Exhibit A).

However, when questioning a group of Martians who witnessed the entire incident, they unanimously agreed that the only physical object that he could have spooked this; the Mars Lander pad (Exhibit B)

Due to the high risk of further spooking incidents, the Martian Counsel has decreed that no further Earthling Space Exploration Debris will be tolerated. Mars-Lander-Crashbags.jpg

Space debris mars.jpg

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Due to the high risk of further spooking incidents, the Martian Counsel has decreed that no further Earthling Space Exploration Debris will be tolerated.
We apologise for the short interruption to the regular programme to present an item of international origin.

Riding along the Nullarbor Plain in Australia on the 12th of July, 1979, horses could conceivably have been spooked by falling pieces of Skylab.

As our ABC service reports: NASA officials arrived in Esperance to check out the wreckage. Every local that brought a piece of Skylab to the shire offices to be verified was given a plaque. But it was a US newspaper, the San Francisco Examiner, who turned the hunt for souvenirs into a frenzy when they offered $10,000 dollars to the first person to arrive at their office with an authentic piece of Skylab - the winner had just 72 hours to get to America. The prize was claimed by 17 year old Stan Thorton from Esperance.

These days, Skylab is a source of pride to the people of Esperance and the Nullarbor, who remember the lights, the sonic boom and the fuss that followed.

The skylab crash put Esperance on the map, but it didn't stop the shire council having a light hearted dig at NASA for scatter space junk over the town, sending them a $400 fine for littering, which they never paid.

from When Skylab fell to earth - ABC Goldfields WA - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

We now return you to the regular programme.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
So, traveling at close to the speed of light would theoretically allow time travel into the future, as time slows down for the speeding object in order to "protect" the cosmic speed limit of the speed of light.

this explains on why after being launched from the back of a horse people say it was slow motion... When temporarily transported to the future you see your body in slow motion hitting the ground. So you can say this is going to leave a mark.

Now as your velocity slows and you are transported back to your current time after launch you can say truthfully that you have seen this movie before. And the words you uttered are now repeating. "This is going to leave a mark."

Einstein concluded the faster you move through space, the slower you move through time.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think Schrödinger's Horse is for sale on Craigslist. I'm sure you've all seen him. "Bombproof, great with kids, knows the barrels, can rope off him, 3 year old stud."

If the horse bucks off his rider after an average of 15 minutes, and a perspective buyer tries him for 15 minutes (while you avoid watching), is the rider on or off the horse? Both?

This thread is a hoot. You guys are brilliant and hilarious. I don't have any education in physics or the like, but I've watched enough episodes of the Big Bang Theory to try to answer ....The rider is both on the horse and off the horse,,,or from another perspective, the rider is neither on the horse nor off the horse.

I have experienced the 'faster thru space, slower thru time' phenomenon a few times, twice when involuntarily departing a horse but prior to impacting the planet with my body. The first time, I was cantering but not well , as my seat was leaving the saddle a bit with each stride, aka bouncing in the saddle, the horse chose a dip in the ground as the perfect place to zig right while I stayed (what had been) center. Clever girl, she succeeded in moving her center (spine) a mere few inches to the right of my center spine, but those few inches were monumental to the inevitable outcome. As I began the descent from my most upward position of the bounce, I came to realize that there was not longer seat area under me to come back down onto. I must say that I had enough presence of mind to realize that gravity WAS going to win, and my best bet was to push my feet on her barrel to try to guarantee me good clearance from her and NOT get hit by a cantering hoof. I remember being somewhat amazed at the time I had to think things thru in planning my impact. The 'faster thru space-slower thru time' phenomenon has fascinated me ever since. I was lots younger, more nimble and I landed rolling, and suffered no injury to anything but my pride.
The second time, the horse surged forward from a walk due to some commotion from barn swallows or some barn nesting birds that had spooked a group of horses we had just passed and I swear I felt the wall of energy come forward them them like a Tsunami just prior to my horse surging forward and a bit sideways. The slowing of time sensation this time was much briefer , I had barely acknowledged that there was no recovery until time zipped back in to real time and I hit the arena floor. It was surprising how hard deep sand felt, and my helmeted (this time) head bounced once as I heard someone yelling at me to let go of the reins. Guess I was determined not to let the horse loose and be a bother or a danger to others, but the person yelling didn't want me to cause her to trample on me. No injuries that time either, except to pride.
All that to say, I do find this phenom fascinating but have never tried to do any research (reading , not experimenting) on it, and would appreciate any articles (layman's level preferred) any of you know of on it. Our brains certainly work in amazing ways.

Along those lines, have also had two experiences where the action was so fast that my brain couldn't comprehend what had happened. Is there a name or studies on that sort of experience? The first time, all I know is that we were headed South down a trail, and my next conscious awareness was that we were heading North and we were at least 15 feet from my last memory. Sonny must have spun around and gotten that far before I could comprehend. Shortly after that I heard a chain saw not too far off, , obviously Sonny heard it , thought it was a horse eating monster in the woods, and turned back toward the barn so fast my brain couldn't keep up. The second time, we were walking on a trail and (I thought) Sonny tripped so badly that his head went down completely out of sight. I remember thinking that he was going to somersault and that I could very well be hurt badly enough to die. Then his neck and head came back into view and I thought that he had gotten his footing back and we were saved. Turned out that he hadn't stumbled at all. Instead he had surged forward and I was whiplashed back. The rider behind me said she could see the TOP of my helmet, so when I lost sight of his head, it was me going back over the cantle, and when I thought he had recovered from the stumble, it was me somehow regaining an upright position. Weird, right ? Our brains have to tell us some version of events, so we think of the most logical explanation that we can when it happened so fast we can't take it in. If she hadn't been behind me and seen it, I guess I would have to this day thought it was a very bad stumble. Perhaps this explains different versions of the recounting of an accident, when everyone THINKS their version is correct.

Maybe some of you brilliant folks can put an Algorithm to that ?....

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
@mslady254 If you were traveling at the speed of light, and there was a light beam following you and if you looked behind you would you be able to see the light beam following you???

The answer is No. since both objects are traveling at light speed the light beam will never be able to reach your eyes (optic nerves).

So since your horse was traveling faster than your eyes the images of the horse turning around never reached your eyes. the same applies to his head disappearing as you slowed down and went in a different direction from vertical to horizontal and came back into view when you went from horizontal back to a vertical position and then you and horse were moving at the same velocity again..

41 - 57 of 57 Posts