The Horse Forum banner

Farm Design Help

1526 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Foxhunter
Hola all! My best friend and I want to have our own farm one day, and whilst trying to make a sort of barn plan I've run into a huge problem... Sizes confuse me. I'm lost when it comes down to trying to figure out sizes.

Currently, we have stalls sizes at,
Typical horses - 12x14
Drafts - 16x16
Foaling Stalls - 24x18

Wash stall size,
12x10

Tack stall size,
14x16

Tack room size,
25x25

Office size (this will be split into two, an office for me and one for her),
40x40

Hallways,
18', at least.

Three round pens at,
50'

Indoor arena,
200x300

Outdoor arena,
264x362

Feed room,
12x14

...and that is it so far.

So I'm not an architect or anything, I'm very very far from it. All of these sizes were gotten from Google searches (like I searched a typical show-jumping arena size for the arena sizes). Please don't laugh at me too much if these are waaaay off what they need to be or should be. Thank you for your help!
Reactions: Horseychick87
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,499 Posts
With the various stall size you'll either need more than one barn or to readjust your sizes.

Regular: 12x14
Draft: 16x16
Foaling 24x18

Wash stalls 12x10

feed room: 12x 14

Can I ask why you have a tack stall at 14x 16 and a tack room at 25x25?

Your office is 40x40, so you'd need a whole separate building for this unless you have a specific design in mind.

If you want to keep the stall all in one barn, then you need to use a few standard measurements like this:

Standard stall 12x14
Draft stall 14x 16
foaling stall 14x 24, this allows you to make the stalls say 14 feet deep and then you can adjust the length from 12, 16, and 24 feet long.

You can do this as well with feed, tack, offices etc.

Unless you plan to have multiple wings off of one central hub where the office or indoor arena is located.

I've seen some stables that use a indoor arena and then have two to four wings off of that, for boarders, show horses, broodmares, and stallions, so this could work well for you.

· Registered
6,080 Posts
Hola all! My best friend and I want to have our own farm one day, and whilst trying to make a sort of barn plan I've run into a huge problem... Sizes confuse me. I'm lost when it comes down to trying to figure out sizes.

Currently, we have stalls sizes at,
Typical horses - 12x14
Drafts - 16x16
Foaling Stalls - 24x18

Wash stall size,
12x10

Tack stall size,
14x16

Tack room size,
25x25

Office size (this will be split into two, an office for me and one for her),
40x40

Hallways,
18', at least.

Three round pens at,
50'

Indoor arena,
200x300

Outdoor arena,
264x362

Feed room,
12x14

...and that is it so far.

So I'm not an architect or anything, I'm very very far from it. All of these sizes were gotten from Google searches (like I searched a typical show-jumping arena size for the arena sizes). Please don't laugh at me too much if these are waaaay off what they need to be or should be. Thank you for your help!
You have some odd sizes for things and lots of wasted space. 40 x40 is huge for 2 pffices

· Premium Member
16,034 Posts
You will need a lot of money to be able to build all that from scratch!

I agree that you do not need so much room for an office one half the size would do and both can use the same.

12 x 14 is big enough for most horses including draught horses. 16 x 16 for a mare and foal and a foaling box at 24 x 18.

Unless you are running an intensive foaling programme one foaling box would be enough.

Why have the aisles (hallways) so wide?

Round pens could be outside and why would you need three?
You haven't mentioned anything about storrage.

Also you have not thought about a staff room, toilets or living quarters,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.