The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
752 Posts
My favorite color is Silver Dapple with chrome, a flaxen m/t that's long and wavy, and I love pink noses. Something like this--
Horse Liver Working animal Organism Adaptation

I used to think chesnut was the most boring color ever. So of course my first two horses were chesnut--lol! But they weren't just plain chesnut at least. My arab also had the rabicano gene and so he developed white colored spots under his tummy, had a skunk tail and was roaning out all over--really cool! And my paso has the sooty gene so he has black hairs on his shoulders/legs and his tail hairs are mixed chesnut, black, white, gray and flaxen--so pretty.

My kmh is a glossy black in the winter and a rich black bay in the summer. I never knew that color was so beautiful and I love it.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My favorite color is Silver Dapple with chrome, a flaxen m/t that's long and wavy, and I love pink noses. Something like this--
View attachment 1134800

I used to think chesnut was the most boring color ever. So of course my first two horses were chesnut--lol! But they weren't just plain chesnut at least. My arab also had the rabicano gene and so he developed white colored spots under his tummy, had a skunk tail and was roaning out all over--really cool! And my paso has the sooty gene so he has black hairs on his shoulders/legs and his tail hairs are mixed chesnut, black, white, gray and flaxen--so pretty.

My kmh is a glossy black in the winter and a rich black bay in the summer. I never knew that color was so beautiful and I love it.
Wow, what a beautiful horsey! Look at those locks! <3 I'll have to look up all those colors you mentioned; funnily enough I used to think chestnut was boring too lol! In fact, I used to be scared (for really no reason except he's derpy lol) of my current favorite horse <3 I love the pink noses too!!!!

· Registered
2013 Andalusian Gelding
81 Posts
Another silly color question: What color tack do you guys like on your horses? I love turquoise and brown (but I also just bought red white and blue reins) ;) ;) Do I use turquoise and brown? No because I don't have my own tack except for the reins lol but that's my future plan!
I generally do all brown tack and half pad with the beige Le Mieux pad. Goes with whatever outfit I wear!

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Appaloosas of all varieties. Leopard, blanket, snowcap, snowflake, few spot, etc. If it's got freckles, I'm a fan. A attribute this love of appies to the fact that my first horse was an app. He was such a great friend and partner. I have another one now who owns my heart.

I also love a red horse with chrome and a bright bay (with or without chrome).

But in the end, it's what's inside that counts. I've known horses of all the colors mentioned above that were absolutely NOT worth my time. They've got to have good brains.
I love appies! Their colors are absolutely stunning; I'd love to see one in person someday! I'm so happy you now have another horse who owns your heart <3 The best!

Yes I think that's why I love chestnuts! My first favorite horses are chestnuts (if a haflinger counts)! I love the bright red! And my human bestie is a redhead! Connection? Lol!

Definitely, for me they have to be sweet, gentle, calmish, and listen well. I'm not sure if my favorite boy has a good brain lol, but he definitely has the demeanor I look for! He will be calm but he will also be spunky if you want him to be. He has taught me so much! I definitely think there's a connection between my love for him and my love for chestnuts ;) ;)

· Super Moderator
17,197 Posts
Not just those. Max whites that have pink skin all over would be the extreme to pink noses or faces. They can burn horribly and that can cause much discomfort and distress. I'd much rather not having to slather a face with sunscreen much less worry about burns where a saddle would go.

· Registered
17,001 Posts
I'm a total sucker for a nice shiney chestnut with lots of chrome. My total favorite color combo. But I'm also a complete sucker for a horse with lots and lots of white and very little other color. I love cremellos, buckskins and really nice palominos and of course, a beautiful bay.

Attachments

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nope not a English rider, just a plain old Western rider, lol..
Cool, I'm Western too! I usually hear my English friends use those terms, haha, that's why I asked! My Western friends where I volunteer, at least when I'm there, use terms like "Yup he looks good!" or "I wish his back was more swished but that's okay!" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm a total sucker for a nice shiney chestnut with lots of chrome. My total favorite color combo. But I'm also a complete sucker for a horse with lots and lots of white and very little other color. I love cremellos, buckskins and really nice palominos and of course, a beautiful bay.
CHESTNUT BUDS!!!! Chrome is the white markings, right? My favorite boy only has one star and that's it, and it's usually covered by his forelock! I've never seen one like that before him, and I totally love it. But I loooove the classic blaze on Chestnuts as well! And Buckskins are AMAZING! I would love to meet one one day, I know I've probably aready said this, haha, but it's true! Cremellos are beautiful!

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Not just those. Max whites that have pink skin all over would be the extreme to pink noses or faces. They can burn horribly and that can cause much discomfort and distress. I'd much rather not having to slather a face with sunscreen much less worry about burns where a saddle would go.
Aww oh dear! That's too bad, I wonder why they are like that. (well, genetics I suppose). I hope all those babies have great homes! I didn't know they existed! They are beautiful but I hate the thought of them being burnt. I'm glad there aren't any at the barn I volunteer at; we have 103 degrees and the sun beating down. That must be why the horse I know who looks so white to me is technically a gray; she does not have the pink or the burn problem.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! This is just a fun post; what are your favorite horse colors?

Mine are chestnut/sorrel (idk if there's a difference lol) and buckskin! Perhaps because my favorite horse is a chestnut lol! <3 <3

Of course, personality comes first for me! Which is why I think my fave color comes from my fave horse lol!

What do ya'll like? :D :D

My last two horses were Chestnut/Sorrel. No, I don't think there's a difference in the color--only in what they're called. Here's Smarty, which I called Bright Chestnut.
Horse Sky Bit English pleasure Working animal

BUT . . . I've always loved Tri-Color Paint horses. I just never found the right one available when I was looking for a horse.

Horse Eye Liver Plant Fence

· Registered
17,001 Posts
Aww oh dear! That's too bad, I wonder why they are like that. (well, genetics I suppose). I hope all those babies have great homes! I didn't know they existed! They are beautiful but I hate the thought of them being burnt. I'm glad there aren't any at the barn I volunteer at; we have 103 degrees and the sun beating down. That must be why the horse I know who looks so white to me is technically a gray; she does not have the pink or the burn problem.
I have several horses that I have to put sunscreen on, every single day. I don't seem to have any trouble with them burning except on their faces, never had them burn where they have a lot of hair. Faces get it the worst because the hair is the thinnest and skin is closest to the surface, I think. Mine actually like having their sunscreen put on and, believe it or not, they have preferences for which sunscreen I use. My stallion absolutely will not tolerate any of the chemically smelling ones, he wants coconut/tropical sweet smelling ones. I don't suppose I blame him, their sense of smell is so much better than ours, I bet the No Ad really stinks to them. I know I don't care for it. So for him, it's Banana Boat or Tropicana all the way. My mare Snowy is the same way. The others don't seem to care so much but I think prefer it, but will tolerate whatever I have on hand.

I'm pretty much a fan of the "if it's nearly impossible to keep them clean and looking pretty" type horse, then I love them. Pics of Snow White who mostly isn't because she LOVES mud.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,721 Posts
I don't really like those rare colours, or even horses with a lot of chrome - I know I am weird. I love grays. All grays. Flea-bitten, dapple, dark, light, love them all. And yes, I'm aware of the risk of melanomas. I have a flea-bitten 23 year old who is in great health for his age and a leopard appaloosa (so not a grey, but a white coat base). I may change my mind if I ever have a grey with melanomas, but for now, I think there is nothing more stunning. (not my photo, just googled grey horse)

Hair Horse Head Eye Horse tack

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have several horses that I have to put sunscreen on, every single day. I don't seem to have any trouble with them burning except on their faces, never had them burn where they have a lot of hair. Faces get it the worst because the hair is the thinnest and skin is closest to the surface, I think. Mine actually like having their sunscreen put on and, believe it or not, they have preferences for which sunscreen I use. My stallion absolutely will not tolerate any of the chemically smelling ones, he wants coconut/tropical sweet smelling ones. I don't suppose I blame him, their sense of smell is so much better than ours, I bet the No Ad really stinks to them. I know I don't care for it. So for him, it's Banana Boat or Tropicana all the way. My mare Snowy is the same way. The others don't seem to care so much but I think prefer it, but will tolerate whatever I have on hand.

I'm pretty much a fan of the "if it's nearly impossible to keep them clean and looking pretty" type horse, then I love them. Pics of Snow White who mostly isn't because she LOVES mud.
Awww they are so cute!
That's so funny they like certain scents, I don't blame them! I think those smells sound good too! ;) ;) Awwww Snow White is so cute! I definitely feel ya on the never truly white part, haha!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts