The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just for fun, I was wondering what your favorite bridle is. English, Western and any other discipline too.

Have a great evening :)

Registered
Mine's a Dever English Full Size Hunt weight (3/4") with cavesson noseband. It's 24 years old and currently on it's 4th wearer, a 17.1hh Westphalian, after a 17hh Cleveland x TB, 16.1hh DWB x ID and 17hh ID x TB. Had to replace one cheek-piece strap on the headpiece after the last clumsy clod stepped on a rein and tore it off, and the fixed loop of the throatlatch has teeth marks from where the DWB x ID chewed it, but it still looks good enough to show in 馃槃

Registered
@QHriderKE tell me more about that bridle! It looks like a bosal, and a headstall with a bit. But how do you steer? Do you have two sets of reins? What's with the chains hanging down?
It's called a "2 rein", I just snapped the picture before attaching the reins to the chains you see hanging down. So I ride with both the bosal and the bit for now so it gives my horse time to get accustomed to and learn how to ride just on signals from the bit.

Banned
I don鈥檛 know much about my bridles as most of them were gifts but I do like my standard stockmans bridle/Barcoo, it鈥檚 very simple which I like because using my coaches fancy dressage bridle with a flash band and lots of bling was very confusing 馃槀 I also like bosals more for style than use. All my horses have leather stockmans bridles and pvc barcoos

Banned
So just for fun, I was wondering what your favorite bridle is. English, Western and any other discipline too.

Have a great evening :)
I鈥檝e never had anything too fancy and it鈥檚 just depended on what my horse likes. It also depends what I鈥檓 doing. Some of them have been halters.
I鈥檓 still not too sure about with Pistol what my favorite has been. Guess you might say I am still experimenting. But slowly, because money reasons.
With Maverick, it has been his mechanical hackamore w/ chain (and, before someone has a hissy fit, no, the chain does not dig into their skin or rub them raw or hurt. If you experience that, news flash, you鈥檙e either being way too hard handed, or you have it adjusted wrong). I actually did a lot of his training in this. This particular hackamore has also lasted me about six years which isn鈥檛 too bad given that all my others both have malfunctioned or broke mid-ride several times (because I bought cheap ones lol). I wrap the noseband with vet wrap since it鈥檚 rawhide and I don鈥檛 want it to rub, or to be too hard. Looks better aesthetically IMO too, makes it look like you care to me, lol. I also used this on Pistol for a long time. Headstall was the cheapest one at Tractor Supply, lasted me 6 years when their more expensive ones have all broken on me... go figure. Hackamore is from a small business located in Roopville, GA, called the Cowboy Shop. Not sure if they sell this one anymore.

My second favorite with Maverick is a rope halter. This is what we did the other half of our training in. Just used a lead rope as reins. Have recently started using a lead rope without a buckle for my reins because it makes tying them a bit easier.

my third favorite on him is just a neck rope! Made it myself, it鈥檚 simple, just six small strands of paracord braided together and tied at the ends together.

My fourth favorite with him is this (non-jointed,VERY low port) curb bit with a somewhat rusty mouthpiece. He doesn鈥檛 gripe about it like he does a snaffle or french link snaffle. I think it鈥檚 because the action is more similar with it to a mechanical hackamore than a snaffle is. It鈥檚 not a harshness thing. He鈥檚 super light in anything, he just pins his ears a lot and switches his tail in a snaffle so I know he doesn鈥檛 like them. Bit came with Pistol, Pistol hates it. Headstall came from tractor supply. Changed the reins to split reins. When I use actual reins with Mav it鈥檚 always split reins to accommodate his lower head carriage and longer neck

my favorite with Dixie is this hybrid halter. She does alright in a rope halter or a regular halter too but something about this one must be just right. She even seeks contact in it as you can see here:
She also seems to be pretty happy in that mechanical hack of Mav鈥檚. Just have to adjust the chain two links tighter to fit her right.

Reactions: horseponycrazy27
1 - 7 of 7 Posts