The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am looking at getting some new clippers.

I mostly do trimming -- bridle path, coronet band, minor legwork, etc. I would prefer cordless.

I have found that my mare really didn't like the Wahl Adjustable Show Pro Plus, which seemed like it caught on her hair and wouldn't stay at a setting. She does really well with the laube cordless clippers, but those are a bit out of my price range. Wanting to stay under $250.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it's for trimming I use Clipper Sectolin SE-210. The quality is high for the price you pay and the battery lasts +- 5 hours. I am into discounts and coupons, so if you are interested I might have a 10 or 15 percent coupon laying around somewhere!!

If you wanna do the coat itself I always rent the Heiniger Progress Style. It's not wireless, but it's the best of the best!

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
Oster A5 is a industry standard, but corded.
Corded gives consistent power you not have with battery as they wear out and lose the charge.
Most under $200 and all can use interchangeable snap-on A5 blades....
🐴 ...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Oster A5 is a industry standard, but corded.
Corded gives consistent power you not have with battery as they wear out and lose the charge.
Most under $200 and all can use interchangeable snap-on A5 blades....
🐴 ...
Yup, came here to suggest these. I started using the Oster A5 Turbo's after my Wahl Stable Pro's were struggling with roaching one of my horse's manes. They breeze through mane hair. I also use mine for body clipping and did partial clips on both of my horses (a Morgan with a SUPER thick coat and an Arab with an even thicker coat from PPID). If you ever decided to do more than just small touch-ups and what not, these clippers could handle it, plus they have a nice price tag around $130-150 depending where you are. I bought mine from Tractor Supply.

Andis are also good, though the equivalent of the Oster A5 Turbo's is more expensive (~$180). When I was reading reviews for both, Andis seemed to be more recommend by dog groomers than Oster, and I had planned to get the Andis but they were sold out at my local Tractor Supply. Ultimately it didn't matter though, as the Oster's are doing what I needed them to do.

Ultimately, both of my suggestions are corded. I thought I need cordless until I bought the Oster's that have a super long cord compared to the Wahl's I had before. I don't mind the cord whatsoever now, and will continue to buy corded clippers for the consistent power they give you.

Also - if you end up buying extra sets of blades - Amazon has a great deal on the "Andis UltraEdge Detachable Clipper Blade" #10's A5's. They are compatible with any clipper taking A5 snap-on blades, and are only $18.50 per blade. At the Tractor Supply's I've looked, they were between $22-26 for one blade. I saved a decent chunk of money on blades through Amazon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts