The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete Icelandic horse lover and I really like the way they display colors, so all my examples will be displayed and in the Icelandic horse breed.
My favorite colors are W8 with splash (as seen below. Only one horse in the world with this color and he turned completely white)

smoky black with "golbrunn" (forgot how to spell it but it is basically a dilution in Icelandic horses that is not yet testable that causes the horse to show cream on black pigment).

dunskin "goldbrunn"

blue dun splash (or just blue dun)

liver chestnut

silver black (aka silver dapple)

silver buckskin

and roan

·
Registered
279 Posts
Icelandics are so cool, think I need to add that breed to my "want" list. Favorite horse color would probably be Blue Roan. I do really like solid color (chestnut/black/bay) with blaze and four white stockings too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Favourite colours are red and liver chestnut and dapple greys.

I have a soft spot for Highland colours - mouse dun, silver mouse dun, cream dun, grey dun, red dun and yellow dun.

Probably because they were the colours of horses I owned or rode when I was young and there's a lot of special memories attached to the colours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Icelandics are so cool, think I need to add that breed to my "want" list. Favorite horse color would probably be Blue Roan. I do really like solid color (chestnut/black/bay) with blaze and four white stockings too.
View attachment 1106188

View attachment 1106189
I love those colors too! I also love some of the unique face patterns Icelandic horses can have. If you are interested in owning an Icelandic someday, I can help you get set up.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Oh wow, I love the blue eyes on those Icelandics! And I really adore the blue dun with the blue eyes!

My favorite colors are black, dapple grey, flashy pintos, liver chestnuts w/flaxen and oh yeah, I have a thing for blue eyes!

Black has always been my favorite horse color but it took me 20 years or so to end up with one. Such a simple color, but I think it looks so sharp! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow, I love the blue eyes on those Icelandics! And I really adore the blue dun with the blue eyes!

My favorite colors are black, dapple grey, flashy pintos, liver chestnuts w/flaxen and oh yeah, I have a thing for blue eyes!

Black has always been my favorite horse color but it took me 20 years or so to end up with one. Such a simple color, but I think it looks so sharp! :)
View attachment 1106199
I love black horses too! I have a black Icelandic mare with nd1, but the nd1 prevents her from staying black so she always ends up black dappled a sort of tawny color.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a dilte buckskin (goldbrunn) mini stallion. His mane and tail are sunbleached but he is a lineback blue eyed dilute dun with brown points. When bred to chestnut mini mares has a 50% chance of throwing palominos. He has a job too.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Also black horses. This was my black Arabian. The white and the black horses are all shape. There is no marking or distraction of the eye from their shape and beauty.

This is something I wrote for an English class.
---

It is the antelope strain of horse of the North African desert that is the oldest and purest breed of horses in the world. Large of eye, ever alert, fleet of foot and able to run many leagues without rest, bands of the desert horses wandered into the Fertile Crescent seeking pasture over 6000 years ago. Highly prized for racing and for war, the horses were brought in to live closely, even within the tents of the people, and their names traced back by word of mouth for countless generations. All horses of Babylonia, Egypt, Macedonia and Greece sprang from them. Kept pure or 'Asil' by the Bedu people of Arabia, and brought into Spain by the Moors and all of Europe by the Crusaders, the Arabian horses carried their fire and have improved all the horse breeds of the world.

. This is the black stallion Masood whose name means fortunate or lucky in Arabic. Because of his coal black color he appears to be all intensified shape lit with gleams of light. His beauty draws all beauty irresistibly to himself as a Black Hole draws in the stars of heaven. Astonishing to look at when still, yet when he moves he is all curves with a fluid grace. He moves as if he hears music. In fact, he does hear it, for he IS music. It is the song of the wind. So it is written in the Koran, god took a handful of the South wind and said Condense, I bid thee make an incursion into the morning. I give thee flight without wings.---

At night he would come to a whistle with the sound of approaching thunder. And would appear before me as if the night itself had come alive....then the touch of a velvet nose....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm a sucker for a flaxen chestnut, as my favourite, second, trustworthy horse of my early teens was a Quarab with a rich chestnut coat and very very blonde and silver flaxen mane and tail. She was quite a looker! Big blaze and two tall stockings on the hind legs. She was about as bombproof as a horse can possibly get, and very game to go. Perfect trail horse, and she loved games, too.

My current horse is a nearly solid but rich bay. Amusingly, her few markings are nearly identical to my first horse, of whom I do NOT have fond memories. (I was too much of a beginner for him, and he was explosively spooky.)

I appreciate the beauty of different horse colours, but I'm not really partial to any in particular. The horse I can enjoy and trust is always the perfect colour for me. 💗

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a soft spot for chestnut/sorrel with a blaze. I just melt for them!

But black is so sharp, and calming. Black with a blaze? Yes please!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those Icelandics are just gorgeous!!! They all have fantastic color and personality. How much weight can they carry?
Icelandics are very strong for their size as taller doesn't necessarily mean stronger. It depends on the horse but usually up to 200 lbs for long distances. Remington, a 13.3 hand Icelandic, did over 10,000 endurance miles and competed multiple times in the Tevis carrying a man who is around 186-210 lbs (classified as middleweight rider).

·
Registered
279 Posts
@fireandicehorse Thank you for the offer, when I'm ready I would absolutely love to utilize your knowledge. Question for you, how do they do with the gnats/small bugs? I was reading an article about Sweet Itch and a study from Cornell University had a group of Icelandics they conducted research on in regards to Sweet Itch--apparently Iceland doesn't have the annoying little bugs the US has and the horses come here and are allergic?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@fireandicehorse Thank you for the offer, when I'm ready I would absolutely love to utilize your knowledge. Question for you, how do they do with the gnats/small bugs? I was reading an article about Sweet Itch and a study from Cornell University had a group of Icelandics they conducted research on in regards to Sweet Itch--apparently Iceland doesn't have the annoying little bugs the US has and the horses come here and are allergic?
Around 10% of imported horses have it, but those born in the US don't have it nearly as often. This is because of what they are exposed to as foals. I have 3 Icelandics. 1 has mild sweet itch (I fly spray her in the summer & leave a fly sheet on), and my other 2 are fine. It also can run in bloodlines.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts