The Horse Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Around 10% of imported horses have it, but those born in the US don't have it nearly as often. This is because of what they are exposed to as foals. I have 3 Icelandics. 1 has mild sweet itch (I fly spray her in the summer & leave a fly sheet on), and my other 2 are fine. It also can run in bloodlines.
That's a relief to hear. Sweet Itch is very frustrating. Could you perhaps share some farm's websites I could look up?

·
Registered
Misty is a spirited, talkative, lovable little brat! 14 hands, Grulla, speedy, naughty, and perfect1
93 Posts
Grulla by far is my favorite color! It is so unique and pretty!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im a sucker for black silvers and grullos. My black silver roan has grown a bit on me too. Not quite a black silver but i get to play the what color is my horse going to be this month game.

Also what is the difference between the silver dilute gene and goldbrunn? I couldn't find anything about goldbrunn.
PXL_20201204_230818441.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Im a sucker for black silvers and grullos. My black silver roan has grown a bit on me too. Not quite a black silver but i get to play the what color is my horse going to be this month game.

Also what is the difference between the silver dilute gene and goldbrunn? I couldn't find anything about goldbrunn. View attachment 1106258
glóbrunn is a currently not testable and likely recessive gene that occurs only in Icelandic horses. It causes them to show cream through black pigment. Issue is, Icelanders aren't very partial to color, and most articles on it are written in icelandic anyway. You have to join an Icelandic horse group or something to really learn about it. For example, this dunskin stallion, Arthur, shows red in his mane and tail because of the glóbrunn gene allowing the cream to seep through
. Here is another example with a smoky black horse that has the glóbrunn gene

·
Registered
479 Posts
My favourite colours are Black, a nice Chestnut with a bit of white, Buckskin, Palomino, and Black and White. Lucky enough to have three of my favourites.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll answer anyway.

I love grullo and white pinto.

Bay and white pinto. (that horse is gorgeous :))

Palomino and white pinto.

Of course I love solid colored horses but I love horses with lots of chrome.

Black and white, buckskin and white are pretty too.

Chestnut:

Lighter bays:

Yep, I like a lot of colors of horses.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts