The Horse Forum banner

What are your favorite horse colors! If your favorite is not listed please pick other

• White

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I have seen ugly horses in every color and pretty ones too.

If I had to pick, I'd go roan. I own a bay, black, and sorrel - But my favorite horse in the world was a red roan, really pretty little mare with a kind face. She could work a cow like I had never seen. She was what made me decide to train. Unfortunately she was sold almost 13 hours away by someone who bought her out of ten others, specifically to spite me.

This is her half sister though, who was another beautiful mare. Probably the prettiest red horse I had ever laid eyes on. I'd want one like this again in a heartbeat.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have seen ugly horses in every color and pretty ones too.

If I had to pick, I'd go roan. I own a bay, black, and sorrel - But my favorite horse in the world was a red roan, really pretty little mare with a kind face. She could work a cow like I had never seen. She was what made me decide to train. Unfortunately she was sold almost 13 hours away by someone who bought her out of ten others, specifically to spite me.

This is her half sister though, who was another beautiful mare. Probably the prettiest red horse I had ever laid eyes on. I'd want one like this again in a heartbeat.
Beautiful!! That horse looks just like two of the horses at my barn!! \One just sold( the one that looks most like her) but the other one is for sale!! lol :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My favorites are chocolate palomino/silver dapple. Figured that didn't qualify as palomino so I checked other.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I love multiple colors, but I'm a prehistory nut so I love grulla/mouse dun, and duns with the lineback/zebra stripes on their legs, but I also have a special place in my heart for black horses - my first horse was a black QH.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Well, I do first agree with the statement that a good horse is any color, and never chose a horse for color first
Of, course, since I raised Appaloosas, a coat color, preferably black and white, that has no roaning or greying gene with it, that causes loss of coat markings over time, was a horse I could always find a market for, as there are many people that breed and go for color or coat markings first
Luckily, those looking for a performance horse, have color as a minor critera

Charlie is grey, and looks very spectacular , when washed, but I would never have bred for a grey on purpose, for several reasons-high incidence of melanoma, lots of time needed to wash her before a show, and, being a loud marked Appaloosa at birth, she now looks like just a white horse, as the greying destroyed her coat markings

But then again, some of my favorite horses were chestnut based, like Smilie. who is solid and my all time favorite horse, who I had to put down last year-Einstein

·
Registered
847 Posts
My favorite has always been buckskin since I was a little girl. Incidentally I've owned 2 of them, neither of which worked out for me. I guess it was just never meant to be.

:-(

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My eye is always drawn first to grulla, buckskin or dun, and I'm a sucker for a black or a mahogany bay, but I truly think my favorite color is the dark chocolate of a Rocky Mountain Horse!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts