The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started leasing (eventually going to buy if all works out :D) a OTTB gelding, and when I first went to see him, his owner said that he loved all sorts of treats and yummy things, but his favorite was Peeps! :lol: I found this really funny, as I had heard of a lot of favorite foods (one being chicken McNuggets at my last stable!) but never Peeps! So now wondering, what's your horse friend's favorite treat? :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Boring pleasure cubes, alfalfa cubes, apple flavoured treats and homemade stud muffins..nothing too exciting except I actually fed him tater-tots once..he loved them! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Peppermints, licorice, and watermelon rinds! The large amount of water in the watermelon rinds makes them look like they're foaming at the mouth with rabies :lol: And I actually just bought my horses some extra long licorice!

Reactions: farley

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lollipops (he will actually eat them off the stick) and the sugar wafers. The one that have the waffle print on them.

I used to lease a horse named skipper who got into rubies chicken lo mien and ate all of it. He also liked to dine on coffee when he could steal my bfs cup and my sammichs when I left them sitting some where.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use to own an older tb years ago and he would only eat peppermints as a treat. We tried fresh veggies, and store bought treats. He wouldn't eat them, just peppermints haha. Now my current horses... they'd eat anything you put infront of there face lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
253 Posts
Grady Loves all fruit and vegies, He loves whole bananas especially. He loves marshmallows, candy (not peppermint though, which I find weird), chips, bread, hes kind of like a dog he'll eat anything.
This one time my mom left the back open to her car while unloading groceries on her second trip to the car she noticed a big bit mark out of a cantaloup and made me go back into town for another one haha

My first horse loved Hamburgers meat an all, down it went.

And my friend has a horse that will actually eat everything and anything left in her reach haha

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Country woman - They can be bought at stores but they're much cheaper to make. I don't have the exact recipe but it's something like:
Molasses
Sugar
Oats
Shredded Carrots
Vegetable Oil
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Country woman - They can be bought at stores but they're much cheaper to make. I don't have the exact recipe but it's something like:
Molasses
Sugar
Oats
Shredded Carrots
Vegetable Oil
Posted via Mobile Device
remove the sugar and I add a couple scoops of flavored electrolyte, basically salt. But I make the same thing. I give them as treats once in a while to see if he would eat them and to get the salt blend right.
I use them after he drinks on endurance rides or coming in after sweating a bunch. easier to deal with than the pastes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Diamond loves Peppermint, Oatsy loves apples, and Pumpy likes apples!!
I had a horse once that loved beer XD Not kidding, if you put just some in your hand he would sit there and lick your hand to the bone, lol! We never let him have too much though ;) Like, one handful a month XP The horse I'm going to see doesn't like peppermints, but I haven't taken anything to him other than that, because they only had peppies there.... so we'll find out :p

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Molasses
Sugar
Oats
Shredded Carrots
Vegetable Oil
Posted via Mobile Device
my recipe is
1 cup flour
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup shredded carrot (I sneak some apple in there somtimes though)
1 cup oats
1 TBSP veg. oil
1 TSP sugar
1/2 TSP salt
mix and roll into balls bake at 350 F for 2o mins or until golden brown
that's form memory so it may have a few mistakes but I think that's right. Lucy LOVES them even more so with apple

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.