The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse has a little bit of problems with his hock. And I usually avoid supplements until necessary, but it could really help in this situation. My horse works for the most part pretty heavily and is a barrel horse. His hock has actually been affecting his lope more than his trot. My vet also recommended he take a joint supplement. So any suggestions? Thanks. Sorry not a ton of info I’m busy lol!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cosequin and Cosequin ASU are considered pretty good joint supplements. Good luck!

Reactions: HBoogie

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been having the same trouble with my mare. My vet had recommended Cosequin with MSM in it. I didn't get it because of how expensive it is. I have had my mare on Next Level Supplement for about 8/9 days and wow. I was free lunging her probably just this past week and she started cantering. She is still a little stiff but I feel as if I stick with this supplement and add her hock boots back on. It will make even more of a difference. Daisy is 25 years old (almost 26) Quarter horse. I ride English, trail ride and hunter/jumper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always been skeptical of joint supplements...some people say they're a waste of money. But on a whim I decided to try Absorbine Flex+Max on my gelding who hasn't really been having "issues" so much as I just wanted to give him every possible benefit to feel good while working. I've notice a definite improvement in his willingness to move forward and work under saddle. It still takes him some time to warm/loosen up, but once he does he's moving the nicest I've ever seen.

I did my research prior to choosing Flex+Max and picked it because it had everything in it: MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and HA. It's also pelleted and has fenugreek for flavoring, so I know my guy will eat it. The powdered ones like Cosequin just seem to stick to the bottom of the feed bucket or get blown out. I do wish it had a little more MSM, but he seems to be doing well on it so far. I think we're on the third month now. Maybe fourth. I lose track.

Now, there are people who say injections are more efficient and effective and in the long run, don't cost more than a feed through. The stuff I feed is over $50/month, so I can believe it.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Now, there are people who say injections are more efficient and effective and in the long run, don't cost more than a feed through. The stuff I feed is over $50/month, so I can believe it.
I'm one of those people..LOL

I can get a 30ml bottle of Pentosan for $120, use that whole bottle in the first month, or a yearly loading dose. The same 30ml bottle lasts me 5 months at $24/month.
Per my vet, my initial loading dose is 6 ml every 5 days until the bottle is gone(5 doses) then once a month to maintain.
If you're not comfortable with IM shots and you have a vet give them for you then it may not be cost effective.

Some horses do better on other injectables and some of them are given IV something to consider as well.

But in the long run, for me, injectables are the most cost-effective and I seen the biggest improvement and faster. I like giving a shot once a month rather than making sure the supplement gets ate every day. Again for me, less margin for error.

I've tried a few feed through ones and seen the biggest improvement with was the MVP Exceed 6 Way. Haven't tried Cosequin so I can't compare.

Reactions: beau159

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
No joint supplement ever helped my daughter's horse (21) with arthritic hocks. We put him on Previcox for 2 years, but that only helped a little. My vet suggested 4Cyte. It's a gel, I add to his food every day. Cost is about 100$/ month, but it's totally worth it. 4Cyte is supposed to help rebuild cartilage. He is now doing 2nd level dressage movements we never thought he'd be able to do. My daughter is thrilled, and he is feeling better than ever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been having the same trouble with my mare. My vet had recommended Cosequin with MSM in it. I didn't get it because of how expensive it is. I have had my mare on Next Level Supplement for about 8/9 days and wow. I was free lunging her probably just this past week and she started cantering. She is still a little stiff but I feel as if I stick with this supplement and add her hock boots back on. It will make even more of a difference. Daisy is 25 years old (almost 26) Quarter horse. I ride English, trail ride and hunter/jumper.
Cool thanks for sharing! Joint problems suck so good luck. I did put my horse on a smart pack supplement so we will see if that makes a difference. A lot of people say cosiquin but it’s so dang expensive😂 Good luck with your horse

·
Registered
68 Posts
The general science is that injections are far better than a feed through and generally feed throughs don’t work. That being said, I know plenty of people that have had great success with oral supplements. It’s anecdotal but honestly if people are seeing great success with it, hey why not? Cosequin generally comes recommended by vets as well as equithrive. I’ve seen orthomax from stride animal health recommended as well. Generally most will have glucosamine, HA, and MSM. Smartpak actually has an ingredient comparison chart for everything they carry. Loading doses for joint supplements tends to be expensive though. And whatever you do, do not use summit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always been skeptical of joint supplements...some people say they're a waste of money. But on a whim I decided to try Absorbine Flex+Max on my gelding who hasn't really been having "issues" so much as I just wanted to give him every possible benefit to feel good while working. I've notice a definite improvement in his willingness to move forward and work under saddle. It still takes him some time to warm/loosen up, but once he does he's moving the nicest I've ever seen.

I did my research prior to choosing Flex+Max and picked it because it had everything in it: MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and HA. It's also pelleted and has fenugreek for flavoring, so I know my guy will eat it. The powdered ones like Cosequin just seem to stick to the bottom of the feed bucket or get blown out. I do wish it had a little more MSM, but he seems to be doing well on it so far. I think we're on the third month now. Maybe fourth. I lose track.

I agree the powder always sticks to the bottom😂 And many people have said they are a waste of money but others swear on it! I have started him on SmartPak joint supplement so I have yet to see how it works! Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The general science is that injections are far better than a feed through and generally feed throughs don’t work. That being said, I know plenty of people that have had great success with oral supplements. It’s anecdotal but honestly if people are seeing great success with it, hey why not? Cosequin generally comes recommended by vets as well as equithrive. I’ve seen orthomax from stride animal health recommended as well. Generally most will have glucosamine, HA, and MSM. Smartpak actually has an ingredient comparison chart for everything they carry. Loading doses for joint supplements tends to be expensive though. And whatever you do, do not use summit.
Thank you for sharing, I went with the smartpak one so we will see how it works! Injections sadly may be the path we go down in the long run though.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
My horse has a little bit of problems with his hock. And I usually avoid supplements until necessary, but it could really help in this situation. My horse works for the most part pretty heavily and is a barrel horse. His hock has actually been affecting his lope more than his trot. My vet also recommended he take a joint supplement. So any suggestions? Thanks. Sorry not a ton of info I’m busy lol!
Would you care to elaborate exactly what is going on with his hock?
Arthritis?
Fusion?
Specifics help.
Also, how old is your horse?

As a fellow barrel racing, I know how critical those hocks are.
Did your vet recommend injecting the joint itself?

For an actual joint supplement, while I do feed a general vitamin (T.H.E. Performance) for good overall health, I'm a big fan of injectable supplements such as Adequan or pentosan.
Pentosan has been absolutely amazing for my Red, with numerous problems. It has allowed him to be NOT stiff at all for warmup. It's remarkable. (and dirt cheap at $16.50 per shot) I gave him the loading dose and chose to keep him on every 2 weeks. One time this fall, I went 3 weeks and I noticed the stiffness come back so he will always stay at 2 weeks.
I had him on Adequan the year before which helped too, but not like the Pentosan. (And pentosan is way cheaper than Adequan).
I'm going to put Dexter on it later this year and see if it helps him with his issues.
I didn't notice much with Shotgun but his issues aren't so easily detected with regular riding. I may put him back on Adequan this year; or might try Summit.

So I feel the best bang for your buck is not a feed through, but an IM supplement.

But .... if your horse needs a joint injection, that does wonders too when indicated.

Reactions: ApuetsoT

·
Registered
2 Posts

HA everyone knows is Hydrachloric acid. Obtained from rooster combs. It's action is takes water to connective tissues which exist all over body. My trainer was using. I'm suspicious, horse was discharging from lungs. It's a very vicscous product. And I've used 6 yrs.for wrinkles. I developed fluid on hip & my veins in head felt dangerous. Glucosamine said can cause cataracts.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
OP, just curious what you ended up trying and ask how your horse is doing!

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
These two brands are my favorites and are just as good as hock injections, if not better which blew me away! Every year before show season, my horses had their hocks injected or a Legend IV after the horse therapist worked on them. Last year, vets were crazy busy (what? Everyone stayed home & realized they had sick animals?) and all shows canceled. The therapist suggested trying a joint supplement instead of injections to avoid the wait. I went to feedstore and bought the most expensive bucket of stuff, Pureform Glucosamine Plus, worked within a week. When I ran out of that this spring, I didn't give it for a few months in winter, I went back for more, they didn't have it in stock, would have to order more, but suggested Tri-Acta H.A. so I bought it, same price, just under $300 for a big tub. Works the same as the other brand. My litmus test to see if works? One horse needs to walk and trot for at least a few minutes before he will give me a smooth back up, otherwise he is doggy about it and raises his head. On the supplements, right out of the pasture, he puts his head and glides backwards, forwards, whatever, he's fluid.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
HA everyone knows is Hydrachloric acid. Obtained from rooster combs. It's action is takes water to connective tissues which exist all over body. My trainer was using. I'm suspicious, horse was discharging from lungs. It's a very vicscous product. And I've used 6 yrs.for wrinkles. I developed fluid on hip & my veins in head felt dangerous. Glucosamine said can cause cataracts.
I have used hyaluronic acid based serums since the 90's, I don't have many wrinkles for a 60 year old, nor excess fluid anywhere. As for the glucosamine, can you please contact my husband's transplant team at Vancouver General Hospital and tell them your findings regarding the correlation between this and cataracts. They have been prescribing this to him since his double lung transplant 3 years ago. He also has a dermatologist and an ophthalmologist on his team, no signs of cataracts. As for your excess fluids and head hurting, maybe you are drinking too much? My head always hurts after that, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used hydrochloric acid based serums since the 90's, I don't have many wrinkles for a 60 year old, nor excess fluid anywhere. As for the glucosamine, can you please contact my husband's transplant team at Vancouver General Hospital and tell them your findings regarding the correlation between this and cataracts. They have been prescribing this to him since his double lung transplant 3 years ago. He also has a dermatologist and an ophthalmologist on his team, no signs of cataracts. As for your excess fluids and head hurting, maybe you are drinking too much? My head always hurts after that, lol.
[/QUOTE
Simply I quoted, amongst literally Every woman 'on the planet' over & under 25 - are using a hydrachloric acid syrum!! I knew I risked implication as you proved. Wait a min. While I count.......what gets me reaching for the bottle (not the bottle you so promptly say) is a few shallow "Elevens". So don't think of comparing wrinkles. I'd come out on top the better I assure you. I am Vegetarian. Known not having a layer of fat (animal fat) lining gut. So absorb, uptake vits. & everything ingested more readily. (As horses vegetarian) And skin absorbs into bloodstdeam more readily than its thought. Glucosamine? I believe Mayo clinic research. Hyaluronic acid in some horse feed & animal & humans metabolize it.To quantities nature says enough, I believe. Produce Less by the body as we grow older. And I just "proved" my theory i.e. don't think maybe animals or humans can take unlimited amounts of hyaluronic acid as it's marketed. I tormented my hyaluronic levels last night. Weird hard skin on my calf tbis morn.Been using an Apple cider vinegar product, with pomegranate. Pomegranate a HA food. I know HA has supposedly given horses better movement according to owners but it's just common sense to ascertain perhaps animals can't take unlimited amounts of HA. Or are perhaps overdosing according to product's instructions. I see horse owners on a forum I read, (with photos) "anyone know what these lumps could be?" We have free choices in this world. Do them if you prefer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts