The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered podcasts.
The horse-related ones I have been listening to "Finding the Feel" and "Along for the Ride" with Andrea Fappani I really enjoy.

Anyhow, anyone has favorite podcasts, horse-related or not?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I don't even really quite understand what a podcast is. Given the context it's always used in I'm thinking it's probably like a radio show only via internet. Is that right?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I listen to a lot of podcasts! Mostly true crime ones. In general, my favorites are:

True Crime Junkies
The Joe Rogan Experience
Raise Your Hand and Say Yes
Rise
Rise Together
Relationship Advice
The Mysterious Mr Epstein

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't even really quite understand what a podcast is. Given the context it's always used in I'm thinking it's probably like a radio show only via internet. Is that right?
Pretty much exactly that!

Some are actual radio shows available for download after their airing. I listen to several NPR shows this way - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (my favorite), Fresh Air, Science Friday, and more - and also some BBC shows - In Our Time & a couple others.

Some are done strictly for distribution over the internet, such as the above-mentioned Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. I also listen to the BBC History Magazine podcast among others.

I listen when I'm doing mindless work by myself, but I'm currently about 9 months behind in my downloaded podcasts and can't bring myself to just pitch them all and pick up with the current ones! I find I (somewhat) catch up when I'm on a big home repair project, and fall behind whenever we have visitors (so I'm not alone).

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@COWCHICK77 I started along for the ride last night! It's good!
Glad you enjoy it! Right now it's my favorite.

The day before yesterday I listened to the episode with Clinton Anderson. I have made it clear on this forum many times I am not a fan but I loved his interview. A very straight forward guy and he was very candid about his beginning as a clinician and almost going broke despite the huge amount of money coming in. And his burnout.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like listening to audible books.
I only listen to one podcast, but Audible seriously changed my life when it comes to driving around town. When I have to do a lot of driving I just throw on an audio book instead of the radio. It really takes the stress out of sitting in traffic some days. Sometimes, I even coast in the slow lanes just to make sure I finish a chapter. I've got at least 2 or 3 people hooked on them as well since I discovered them.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I've struggled to find horse-related podcasts I like, but listen to a lot the same that @avjudge posted. Another really entertaining one is Spooked. I also like cooking podcasts, including Milk Street Radio and The Splendid Table. Another favorite of mine is The Moth Radio Hour- great company when I'm on the road for work.

Horse-related though, I recently stumbled on Endurance Horse Podcast- they do some really interesting owner interviews, as well as traveling around the world for perspectives at various well-known rides; inspiring for those of us working our way towards endurance. @SueC, you may appreciate the interview with a standardbred owner in Episode 24, around 10 minutes in.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Thank you, @egrogan. :) I'll put that on when I'm making quiche later. My husband has the lurgy but lit up when I said I was making his favourite quiche - I don't like shortcrust, so I make a pastry out of oatmeal, wholemeal flour and a bit of butter or canola oil (very nice flavour and crunch), and fill it with the Swiss filling from an old cookbook - ham at the bottom, pour on a mixture of beaten eggs, grated Emmental (or cheddar) and Greek fullfat yoghurt (or sour cream as per original recipe) with a sprinkle of nutmeg in it, bake in a moderate oven. :winetime:

When you've got a pile of books on your bedside table that you're trying to read, this pile has a name in Japanese (and @egrogan already knows this): Tsundoku. I wonder what the equivalent in queued podcasts is called! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts