The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get my horse a rain or turnout sheet that is waterproof for the rainy season. Does anybody have one that has worked really well for them and is actually waterproof? Or ones that really stink?!

· Super Moderator
18,489 Posts
I have Weatherbeeta brand turnout sheets now.
Mine have the shoulder gusset.{I don't see available what I have, maybe a closeout?}
Love them.....

My horses have been out in torrential downpours and their body is dry....the rest of them, nah...but their actual body was dry!!

As for affordable....
I found mine in Tractor Supply on clearance for $49.00 each.
To me, that is darn affordable.
Regular price was over $120.00 each :shock:

A "rainsheet" to me is not a turnout sheet but used for keeping your horse and tack dry at a horseshow or some such thing.
Rainsheets are not to be used for stall or turnout use...
This is what I refer to... Weatherbeeta Rain Sheet | Dover Saddlery
This is a turnout sheet with water resistant or waterproof qualities made in it...made for the horse to wear all the time during stall or turnout time.
Upland Turnout Sheet | Dover Saddlery
A slight difference in wording could bring you something you don't want or need..
just wanted you to be aware.

Happy shopping.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks for the different clarifications. I tend to have bad luck on buying blankets, maybe I'll try the local tack store so I can at least feel them and see. Also, can the waterproof turnout sheets be washed? Or if they are does a coat of waterproof spray or something need to be put back on them?

· Registered
5,319 Posts
ok, thanks for the different clarifications. I tend to have bad luck on buying blankets, maybe I'll try the local tack store so I can at least feel them and see. Also, can the waterproof turnout sheets be washed? Or if they are does a coat of waterproof spray or something need to be put back on them?
I wash mine (Schneider's), but only as much as it really needs it. This year that was once during the rainy season and once at the end of it. You don't need to re-waterproof it each time. I did go ahead and re-waterproof with Nikwax this last washing, even though it still seemed to be doing fine; this was my second season using it, and I figure once every two years is a reasonable schedule :) I suspect they last longer if you don't let it get to the point where the waterproofing has failed before reapplying.

· Administrator
37,343 Posts
I like the Weatherbeeta sheets and got a new one for Looby to replace the ancient one she inherited from a horse we no longer have
I bought one of these for Willow, its really well made and waterproof but it does seem to slide over a bit and I wish it was deeper so it might become a 'spare'
Centaur Snuggly 1200D T/O Sheet - Statelinetack.com

And K has one of these that I bought last year when I bought her and I really like it a lot

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/b...2qQ5FNJjkyyhyjqo8ECsnQzAUC6qgOfJNqRoC_2nw_wcB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.