The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
That is a good deal on board!

I know where you're coming from with the fat horse! My mare was also plump, and was only given pity feed. She was also out in a pasture with my poor aging gelding who needed a huge amount of food. So me or my mom had to stand there and guard the gelding while he ate. Luckily my mare wasn't difficult to keep from him, she just needed some attention to distract her, but jeeeeez did that old man eat slow.

But going back to your issue, is the woman who feeds the BO? If not, you could mention it to the BO and it'd be up to her to get this woman to stop. Or alternatively, you could get some kind of low calorie, cheap food to leave in the feed room for her to give your horse while the others eat. Maybe she could drop a carrot in his bucket everytime? Another option would be to prepare a presentation about how overfeeding a horse can lead to laminitis and what they are fed influences how they behave under saddle. Then make her sit down and listen to your presentation, and hopefully the message will get through to her then. You could also mention that she's allowing herself to be controlled by a horse, and therefore the horse is dominant over her. The horse probably thinks it's clever because everytime she feds if it throws a fit, she'll rush to go feed her.

Good luck! Your barn does sound nice, and hopefully this won't get in the way of what is otherwise a great situation!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.