The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
It's a slippery slope..
There is one mare at the barn where I board and occasionally work whom the owner does not want fed any supplements because "she'll get fat". This would be fine except for that the mare nearly takes down the barn at feeding time, so she gets a bit of soaked beet pulp which keeps her busy, but honestly is not very many calories.
Now, because I know the owners and I board a horse there and have for a while I see this as fine. The owner of the horse doesn't know this happens but what she doesn't know can't hurt her. And she feeds the horse beet pulp when she rides her anyways.

At a barn I used to board at, they would feed only rolled oats and alfalfa hay. If you brought grass hay onto the property it was fed to the cows and if you asked for a different feed to be fed you were laughed at. Because of the richness of the hay, most people request their horse is not on oats and only given a handful. And it starts out like that, and then it turns into a bit more and a bit more until your horse is getting (honestly) 4lbs of oats a day. When you asked to have the feed cut back, you were told to ride your horse harder.

So ask, look, see what the other horses are getting. Conveniently show up at feed time and just see. If all the horses are overfed then get the hell out of there before your horse founders. If all the other horses are getting a decent amount of feed then supply a low cal filler that can be given to your horse so it doesn't take down the barn and tell the owner the horse simply cannot have oats. And write it on the stall for good measure.

Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.