The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
How old is your new guy? Is he broke already?

Was wondering the same things! Have you ridden a draft before, are you boarding or do you have a place?

They can run just as easily as other horses! My mare keeps up with all the guys, even our mini Barney it's quite a sight. Will have to get some pictures. When you're standing by the barn you can hear the floor creak when she runs by! Riding her when she runs is like riding a couch, it's very different and she loves it.

Congrats on the new horse though! I just got Belle not too long ago, she was my first draft after my quarter/arab cross Charlie! I've been around drafts my whole life and one of the best pieces of advice I've been given is to treat them like any other horse! They don't need too much special treatment for being "big" and need to respect you and your space. It helps a lot! I'm small and it'd be easy for Belle to walk right over me, but she knows her limits and is bonding with me more every day. It's very rewarding, I'll tell you that and a very special experience to have and bond with your first horse. You WILL get frustrated, no horse is perfect. Just keep your head up and work with him when things get tough. Would LOVE to see pictures.:)

This is my girl Belle, she had already known how to untie her self and walk around with the lead rope until you asked her to bring you the rope! A bad habit now fixed with some time, but was cute to watch!

Can't wait to see some pictures of your new boy! :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.