The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collagen seems to be a latest craze for human supplement. Has anyone here fed it to horses or done the research to see if it is beneficial and if so, what form?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I've researched this a bit in humans. There's little evidence that eating collagen actually has any major benefits, though a very small handful of very small studies showed a bit of promise. And applying it topically in creams, etc., definitely does nothing.

https://www.sciencealert.com/science-behind-collagen-supplement-market-increase

And there are risks that may offset the potential benefits. Though in the shorter life span of a horse, the potential damage from things like heavy metal accumulation may be insignificant.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems.../collagen-supplements-what-the-research-shows

·
Registered
311 Posts
The question with anything like that is 1) is it easily absorbed as is? and 2) is it broken down further in digestion, and those components easily absorbed? It's pretty safe to assume that a lot of things we try to feed our horses have to be fed in excess (possibly dangerous excess) before they're even absorbed, and then able to reach their destination to have an intended effect. That's one reason that injections are more popular for arthritis - it puts the supplement straight into the bloodstream and "out for delivery," or straight into the joint.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question with anything like that is 1) is it easily absorbed as is? and 2) is it broken down further in digestion, and those components easily absorbed? It's pretty safe to assume that a lot of things we try to feed our horses have to be fed in excess (possibly dangerous excess) before they're even absorbed, and then able to reach their destination to have an intended effect. That's one reason that injections are more popular for arthritis - it puts the supplement straight into the bloodstream and "out for delivery," or straight into the joint.
I agree, as with alot of the trendy supplements there is usually not much evidence and especially with feed through it being absorbed to be beneficial is limited.

I did the quick Google search and came across the article rambo posted before asking here but was wondering if others had done some research and could point me towards some studies as there didnt seem to be a whole of information. Or maybe someone had some real life experience feeding it.
I am more curious than anything as I have had the best luck with injections.

Thanks all for the responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts