The Horse Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Herbie is loosing weight on the chopped hay. I think the only way it will work is to significantly increase the hay and leave him up at night to allow time to eat it all.

Going into winter skinny is just not good...
Is it cold where you are? Maybe Herbie could use a blanket, if it's below 40 degrees.

Not good to loose weight this time of year, having same issue, ice has lost some weight.
I added a liner to the blankets he's already wearing.

Are you still feeding him senior feed ?

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Is it cold where you are? Maybe Herbie could use a blanket, if it's below 40 degrees.

Not good to loose weight this time of year, having same issue, ice has lost some weight.
I added a liner to the blankets he's already wearing.

Are you still feeding him senior feed ?
Yes, still feeding senior feed. Twice per day with hay added at night. I'm not sure how much more I can give him that he can eat in one hour, which is all the time I have to spare on weekdays. As it is, working 14+ hours plus 2 hours to feed just is barely time for me to sleep, eat, and travel to work. Plus my dog needs walking twice per day. I'm exhausted.

He looks at the regular hay, but doesn't even begin to attempt to eat it. :frown_color:

I plan to just leave him put up at night with 8-10 pounds of chopped hay. TSC says it takes 3 weeks to get special order of hay in, so I have time to prepare his stall front to be blocked from access of the other horse.

Our weather is all over the place, it can be 60F or 20F or below. Mostly it is cold and raining, rare for us to have snow. Winter will be over in February. Might have random cold weather after that.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Yes, still feeding senior feed. Twice per day with hay added at night. I'm not sure how much more I can give him that he can eat in one hour, which is all the time I have to spare on weekdays. As it is, working 14+ hours plus 2 hours to feed just is barely time for me to sleep, eat, and travel to work. Plus my dog needs walking twice per day. I'm exhausted.

He looks at the regular hay, but doesn't even begin to attempt to eat it. :frown_color:

I plan to just leave him put up at night with 8-10 pounds of chopped hay. TSC says it takes 3 weeks to get special order of hay in, so I have time to prepare his stall front to be blocked from access of the other horse.

Our weather is all over the place, it can be 60F or 20F or below. Mostly it is cold and raining, rare for us to have snow. Winter will be over in February. Might have random cold weather after that.
Well your doing the best you can with limited time. Yeah locking him up at night is a good idea maybe he can eat more during that time.

I would blanket him at least at night. Remove blanket at am feeding,in case temps go up higher then expected. Think that will help with getting weight back on. Wish I lived closer I'd be more then willing to do morning feeding..

Poor boy he knows hay isn't doable for him. ☹

I hope you at least have tomorrow off, better yet a 4 day weekend. Sounds like you need it!

I'm lucky I have more time for doing chores both am and pm. Don't work 14 hour days only 4 hours 3 days a week.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts