The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be getting a 10r old mo foxtrotter gelding.. owner feeds only orchard.. 3 x a day.. any my barn also feeds 3x a day and can feed orchard as well.. A trainer I know, says that orchard only causes problems like ???? I forgot what she said?? bad feet? etc.. any thoughts on orchard only? I know it is the most expensive feed.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Around here where fescue is the primary hay, if you have a pregnant mare, you always feed 100% orchard for the last 3 months. It's a very nice grass and I don't know anyone that has ever had a problem with orchard grass.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Some people are biased against whatever they don't feed or don't like, and some follow along with old rumors as to what certain feeds cause. Then there are those who had a bad experience with a certain feed and swear it off permanently and try to convince others that it's bad for their horses also.

So long as the horse has never had a problem on it and the barns orchard is good quality it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My horse has been on straight orchard the 2 1/2 years I've had her and I plan to keep it that way because she does well on it. A friend of mine commented the other day that he used to feed orchard, but it started causing soft stool in two of his horses for some reason, so he switched to Timothy. If it doesn't upset your horse than I don't see a reason to change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.