The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions and insight on my feeding regime here again..

I have a (turning) 19 year old haflinger. Absolute air fern. Can probably do without any grain but I have him on a ration balancer and he is muzzled. He is on 15 acres of pasture and muzzled all summer and does very well. Now that we are feeding hay he is gaining a lot of weight. He is still muzzled as the ground hasn't frozen yet and we are having temps up and down from 19 degrees at night to sometimes 60s during the day.

Anyway, he has coliced before. (Twice to my knowledge, once was with me) and I think he colics due to stress. In order to help that whole issue and maybe avoid it a bit he is on probiotics and beet pulp. Here is what he is fed twice a day-

1/2 pound ration balancer
1 cup beet pulp (puffs up into about 4 cups once water is added)
1 scoop probiotics
2 scoops of thyroid meds

My vet was trying to get atleast 50-100 more pounds off of him during the summer and now that he's gaining more weight I believe he needs to loose a bit more then that.

I just started him on the beet pulp a month ago and was told to feed him 1 cup twice a day and he shouldn't gain weight, but I'm not so sure if he's gaining weight from the pulp or all the hay/small amount of grass he can still eat. And he's been on the thyroid meds for almost a month and is gaining weight on them. I don't see any other difference from the meds besides that he's still gaining weight.

Anyone have any insight/opinions? Is the beet pulp the culprit do you guys think or what should I do there?
Thanks!

I can also attach pics of him now and of him a month ago if that helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't dry lot him. We only have two paddocks at the barn I'm at and he needs to be in the bigger of the two or else he'll bust through the fence. He's in with 5 other horses so they have a round bale out. Although they just put it out recently. Before that they were getting 1-2 bales twice a day. The hay is Timothy/orchard mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Okay. No beet pulp and more exercise. That's about all you can do, unless you can convince whoever is in charge, to get a net for the round bale.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Ok I was told to feed the beet pulp in a small amount to get water into him and for fiber. He seems to be a good drinker but when I first got him he wasn't. I figured I'd give the beet pulp a try but I'm thinking it's working against my favor now.

Anyone have any other ideas of how to get a pony to take powdered meds? Since he will be coming off the beet pulp lol. I can probably just wet down his grain but I know he isn't a great fan of the thyroid meds
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
what grain??????? no grain for him! If it's only for supplements, he can have A HANDFUL SOAKED beetpulp, and add some salt to make him drink, and, if you are concerned about colic, offer him tepid water a couple of times a day. He might not drink enough when the water is too cold.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry he just gets his ration balancer. I just call it grain.

He's on speedi beet (beet pulp) which is supposed to be specially formulated for laminitis prone horses and is 98% sugar free or something of the like. I guess I'll just take him off of it all together then and see how it goes. He usually always drinks right after he eats but I'm not around all day to make sure he's drinking multiple times. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Oh, good :)
He really doesn't need the extra calories, tho. But for adding salt, you'll need the handful. Salt and tells water will prevent him from clicking for sure if he's prone to it in winter. Been there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If he's on pasture I'd stop all feeds. Grab a bag of chaff and give him a handful of that wi his meds. Why is he on the ration balancer? If there's pasture a haffy should be fine.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but it is winter and the grass is soon to be dead. He did great on pasture with his muzzle and the ration balancer this past summer. Ration balancer is just for vitamins/minerals and to get his meds into him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Desert, how much salt do you feed? My vet said two tablespoons of salt should be good a day and I had someone tell me that's wayy too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Desert, how much salt do you feed? My vet said two tablespoons of salt should be good a day and I had someone tell me that's wayy too much.
Posted via Mobile Device
one to two oz, plus a free choice source, best loose, if possible. Mine get about three teaspoons and still go to the Himalaya lick. So believe the vet, not the"somebody";-)

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So two tablespoons should be good? I was told by a few on this forum that two tablespoons is way over feeding and they've never actually known a horse to "not drink enough" since that is my whole reasoning for putting him on salt. Because he doesn't drink enough sometimes. Or he use to be that way.

I can't put a himilayan block out for my haflinger anymore because he's obsessed with it. He went through the one on a rope in two weeks. My vet said not to put it in there anymore for him because she's known horses to overload themselves on those because they think it's like candy. But he does love it! Lol

He's coliced twice but both due to stress I think. Once was because he was kicked out of the shelter in a rain storm during spring. The one horse he was in with would beat him up badly. And the other time was when I brought him home he coliced two days later. He also had slobbers and wasn't drinking much plus stress of moving probably did him in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you feeding beet pulp with molasses? If so you may want to get beet pulp with no molasses and reduce the amount and mix it with some timothy hay cubes.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
So two tablespoons should be good? I was told by a few on this forum that two tablespoons is way over feeding and they've never actually known a horse to "not drink enough" since that is my whole reasoning for putting him on salt. Because he doesn't drink enough sometimes. Or he use to be that way.

I can't put a himilayan block out for my haflinger anymore because he's obsessed with it. He went through the one on a rope in two weeks. My vet said not to put it in there anymore for him because she's known horses to overload themselves on those because they think it's like candy. But he does love it! Lol

He's coliced twice but both due to stress I think. Once was because he was kicked out of the shelter in a rain storm during spring. The one horse he was in with would beat him up badly. And the other time was when I brought him home he coliced two days later. He also had slobbers and wasn't drinking much plus stress of moving probably did him in there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine did the same thing with the Himalayan block, but slowed down after the first one. Now, with the salt in the feed, they lick it, but very little.
THE most important thing over the winter is offering him the tepid water, if he drinks a bucket full of that, and he most likely will, you're a huge step ahead. My horses used to wait for it in the morning :), and the one who had colicked before was very eager to have it.... and never colicked again in winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.