The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just saved Dixie and i have been feeding her Sentinel Senior Formula and she has been on it for about a week she is 20 years old, she needs to gain 300 pounds. and we are taking it slow. however my neighbor just brought me 2 bags of Purina strategy healthy edge and now am at a loss on what i should do, can i just finish out the sentinel and work her over to this brand of feed? its cheaper and easier to get. i would do it slowly but i wanted your opinion on this feed for a older horse.

new feed
http://horse.purinamills.com/stelle...sites/documents/web_content/ecmd2-0033337.pdf

feed she is on now
Sentinel™ — Senior Formula

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I would stick with the sentinel senior for now. If you were to talk to good horse rescue groups you will find they use good name brand senior feed on their skinny ones. It's easier to digest and it works.
When she starts eating a little more you could mix in a cup or two of the other with no problem but even healthy horses need to have food changes done slowly.
Once she's gained weight and is looking like a horse again if you want to try something else then fine. Right now she is so dangerously thin she is better off with the senior feed that is high fat with easily digested particles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right. After thinking about it i know i shouldnt cut corners just feel bad my neighbor just brought me 100 pounds of (Not cheap) horse feed...and its going to my goats. ): ..it looks like a lovely feed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
Don't feed that to your goats, just hang on and feed it soon to the horse.
The healthy edge line has a fat nugget in it called Amplify... it is what is in Purina Senior and can also be purchased by itself. Amplify can not be fed alone as it is so high in fat it is unpalatable to many horses. It is what will pack some weight on your horse...

If you have difficulty obtaining Sentinel feed line you have, change over to Purina which is available in many more places. It may even be less per bag, but have no idea.

Just so you are aware, Strategy is a calorie dense feed. More calories packed into the recipe so less is needed to be fed & consumed to obtain desired results...so it is also a $ friendly feed. Also by feeding less of a "concentrate" you decrease the chance of grain overload but still retain the results you want.
Strategy can be fed from around 2-3 years through senior age and can also be moistened and fed if needed...

I know many feed just about anything to their goats, but goats have nutritional needs just like any animal and would do best to eat goat food not horse food. Some ingredients just are not in the best interest of your goats to be fed to them...something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
I just looked at the web sites for Sentinel Senior, Purina Senior Healthy Edge and the original formula of Purina Senior...

I would get out of the Sentinel brand.
Protein amounts are equal in both feed lines, but if you go to the Healthy Edge line of Purina they have them beat hands down in fat, fiber...protein is pretty much even.

If you fed the Strategy line they have the controlled starch and sugar formula in a pelleted feed which is always the better way to feed a horse.

Your neighbor is right... you would do better in a high fat & fiber feed and a lower protein level.
Most horses do not need protein levels of this amount...they pee it out anyway.
They need a vitamin & mineral balanced diet and they do need the high fat and fiber and all the hay they can eat, especially in your horses case.

jmo...

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
i just saved Dixie and i have been feeding her Sentinel Senior Formula and she has been on it for about a week she is 20 years old, she needs to gain 300 pounds. and we are taking it slow.

Does your mare have weight issues due to loss of her teeth, a bad bite or is she thin because she lacked food?

20 year old horses do not always need to be on Senior feed.
They do need just as any other horse to be fed a quality feed. Many can and do digest a regular feed just fine...thin horses many times are thin because they were not fed feed in appropriate amounts as in just fed hay and enough of it. Grains {concentrate} is a enhancer, but the basic need of feeding more hay than grain needs met first.

Sorry... I kind of did these posts backwards...but can't amend my posts once posted here to put in chronological order and my brain is somewhat foggy but working on holiday overload.:oops:

I had a horse who was many pounds more underweight than yours {near double, a literal walking skeleton of death!} and with vet over-seeing our care plan we put that horse to near perfect weight in under 6 months.
My rescue was aged at 20-25, had missing and severely neglected teeth and mouth issues then also needed addressing.
Many horses can gain close to 100 pounds a month...so not long and she will and should already show a marked improvement from when you first brought her home a short while ago.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
This horse is seriously emaciated. She will do better without any serious changes for now. She was getting close to the point of no return. She needs good food without a lot of disruption in what she is getting. Changing now before she's had regular meals isn't a good idea. The horse will use the protein to rebuild some of the muscle mass she lost while the body had turned on itself and started consuming muscle to stay alive.

Amplify is sold and fed alone.

Purina Equine Supplements - Amplify® High-Fat Supplement
It's largely vitamin fortified flax.

That said there is no real reason a half a measuring cup of the gifted feed couldn't be added to her meals as long as she has been eating well at this point with no problems.

Goats do fine on horse feed. Unlike sheep they need a little copper in their diet. I've kept goats for years and just used the horse feed. They do fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the goats can have the feed, i breed and work with goats. they wouldn't have it 100% i keep them on a very rich diet being dairy goats. but i can surely cut in the "healthy edge horse feed" into my normal mix of dairy blend,boss,alfalfa pellets, goat mineral mix my goats get daily.. this feed will not go to waste. lol

let me start from the top about Dixie,

Dixie i found online being given away by her last owners who had her for 10 months, about 6 months into it the owners stopped with the Proper feed,care,and over all heath of Dixie. sadly the owner had many horses all of which where given sweet feed and hay but the other horses ((from what i was told)) would bully the feed away from dixie.

Now i know sweet feed to start with isn't good for horses. when they got her off the trailer. it appeared as if Dixie didn't even get any kind of feed What so ever. she was covered in mud and dirt, tail was 90% all dreadlocks. their was vet proof that the owner had to show me she "Tried" to make thing right by having a vet check her teeth and pull coggins, her teeth are "OK" for a senior (20 years old) she can eat grass and hay no problem. bottom line is the only reason Dixie is underweight is from not being fed.

i have only had her since the 19th going very Slow on feeding her any pellet. so far she is eating the Sentinel Senior Formula 3x a day in small settings. however she can have grass hay all she wants and fresh grass. she is getting better day by day.

am blown away that now am being told the Sentinel Senior Formula isn't good??? lol.....from my first post it was HIGHLY recommended. i would feel better feeding her a Senior blend since they tend to be high in fat and help gain weight and very easy for a horse to eat..that being said the only 2 brands i can get are

Sentinel Senior Formula at $20.00 a 50 pound bag
OR
Purina Equine Senior at $18.70 a 50 pound bag

i could in no way afford Amplify by itself at $40 a 30 pound bucket. i might be able to pull off buying ONE bucket but i couldn't in anyway afford it for months to come.

she is doing well it seems on the Sentinel Senior Formula, however its harder to come by. however i only bought it because it was "highly recommended". i really do not want to add any extras like ((beat pulp,alfalfa pellets,etc.)) since am trying to work her into feed Slowly.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
Amplify is sold and fed alone.

Purina Equine Supplements - Amplify® High-Fat Supplement
It's largely vitamin fortified flax.

That said there is no real reason a half a measuring cup of the gifted feed couldn't be added to her meals as long as she has been eating well at this point with no problems.

Goats do fine on horse feed. Unlike sheep they need a little copper in their diet. I've kept goats for years and just used the horse feed. They do fine.

You need to do some research and make sure of your facts, cause in this case you are more wrong than right.

I spoke directly to the Purina nutritionists at their facilities, you know the feed gurus...
I was told by them that due to the high fat content, many... not all horses find Amplify to be unpalatable.
It is also a supplement, not a feed and does not meet nutritional needs for feeding alone but is to be used as a extra for top-dressing unless it is in the feed mix in the bag.
Here...copy and pasted directly from the Amplify page,

Purina® Amplify® Supplement is a high-fat, controlled starch extruded nutritional supplement. When extra calories are needed to maintain body condition, Purina® Amplify® Supplement can be added to the horse’s daily ration to provide multiple benefits.
Purina® Amplify® Supplement is to be used as a supplement
here is the link....http://horse.purinamills.com/products/HORSESUPPLEMENTS/ECMD2-0032705.aspx

The poster I believe also said that Sentinel brands of feed are not as easy to get in his area which is {south} central Florida...
Only a few dealers handle this brand, as of just recently I've seen it at Tractor Supply Stores and not the entire line but select products.
Purina is just more readily available in many more locations...but you are very correct in any feed fed needs to be done with a gradual change over and or a addition of on a horse especially one who sounds as if it was a starvation case.
The inside of the animal needs fixing and replacement of crucial building blocks of nutrition before anything comes visible on the outside.

But please, make sure of what you write and tell someone about Amplify.
Read the website very carefully and do indeed call and speak with their feed nutritionists.
I found it very enlightening when I did so with them and other feed companies about the products each carries in their lines of food.
When feeding the emaciated as I also have done in rescues you do need to be very feed savvy and smart.

:wink:

homestead... I would personally switch over to Purina feed lines.
It is a great feed company with knowledgeable certified nutritionists on staff that can and will work with you on a one to one basis concerning your horse.
I only know I took a horse who by rights should of been dead he was in such bad shape and with my vets over-seeing/guidance and Purina feed products used brought that horse back to health.
There are also Triple Crown feeds, Seminole feeds available in many areas of Florida that have great products too.
I trust Purina and have had good results with it and them.
It is best to use what you can have available easily all the time honestly. Purina is Purina whether you buy it in Florida or North Dakota, Maine or California.. the formula is consistent and the same bag to bag, that was really important to me.

It isn't that Sentinel is a bad feed, but you can do better for her.
When you can feed a higher percentage of fat 8% versus 5% and fiber of 1-2% more it adds up in a hurry achieving results and a healthier horse.
I know I am also in Central Florida, until very recently I would have to go to the Tampa area or south of there to purchase Sentinel brands and then they were not the entire line but select styles...it just wasn't smart.
The feed mills for Purina are in many areas here as are Seminole brands...local which means real fresh feeds = less chance of spoilage or diminished nutrients from age. I honestly am not sure about locations for Triple Crown feeds but know there are many locations selling them in the Ocala area.
Look around at what is near your home... go speak to the feed store representatives about their feed line they carry. Do the research, get confused and go back and ask more questions. Call and talk to their company help lines...be a informed consumer for both the horse and your expenses as this horse is going to cost extra for a while till she stabilizes.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I think homestead has a good handle on it. If the other brand is easier to get then just do the switch slowly.

Blue Seal products are easy to find here in New England. I guess I actually live in a pretty feed rich place. I've got 3 feed stores in town and several others within a reasonable driving distance. Until I've read some of the posts here about people unable to get many different choices I thought I had little to choose from. I'm familiar with Blue Seal products, used them for over 20 yrs. Would probably still use them if it wasn't for a fat, old pony. My local tractor supply has proven unreliable for feed. They are often out of things and don't have anything low enough NSC for the 2 of mine. It's also the only place in 40+ yrs of owning horses that I've ever gotten moldy feed. I do buy one feed there because so far it's the only thing I've found works with my finicky walker and that's the Purina Mini horse and Pony feed. She's over 16 hands so I kind of surprise people when I say it. But she needs a bit more starch and fat going into her than the other 2 horses and I've tried to just add some rice bran to the same as the other 2 get but doesn't seem to work. Except for tractor supply Purina and Nutrena are actually hard to find here and what mine is willing to carry is a real narrow choice.

I'm glad Dixie has goaty company. Hopefully none of them will run her off her feed. I had one doe who could run any of the horses off theirs but she was raised by my pony mare and had much of the same alpha status her "mother" has. I'm goatless now for the first time in many, many years. Miss the chaos that only goats can cause. Maybe when my husband finally gets off the road I'll have a few more.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
I also fed Blue Seal feeds when I lived in the northeast...they then were great feeds!!

And grains mold here due to high heat and humidity...unfortunately common I hear. So far, no issues for me thankfully, but I watch and am careful.
I use a dealer who has a refrigerated feed storage area to "prevent" or slow down the molding process...cold enough it is like walking into a meat storage locker...brrrrrr!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I fed Strategy to my (at the time) 17 year old arab. I was boarding at a place that decided they where done feeding the 15+ horses they where boarding and not tell anyone (feeding was in the boarding agreement). I could not get up there every day (maybe 1-2 times a week) and I knew she needed teeth done so I did not catch it until she was bad. She dropped weight FAST, i was going to look into getting her teeth done until i looked in the hay storage. MY hay was STILL sitting there covered in mold! (that is a rant for another time). My mare when from healthy (5 on the 10 scale) to an low 3, all ribs, spine and bony hips. I fed her strategy with her normal feedings and she was back to weight in a month (after I moved her). I feed it to her now in a mash as she dose not like to drink, and at 19 its helping to keep the weight on, and she stopped eating dirt and manure. I think its better to feed an arab as it dose not make them hyper and really packs weight on if you need it to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.