The Horse Forum banner

Is supplement okay to feed after a ride?

• No, its a bad idea

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Ya, I think its fine

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Depends on how hard the horse works, and how sweaty they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Misty is a spirited, talkative, lovable little brat! 14 hands, Grulla, speedy, naughty, and perfect1
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have looked at a handful of articles explaining why you shouldn't feed a horse immediately after a ride. It said you should wait an hour to ride after your horse has ate, and an hour after the ride before feeding. Three hours if you are doing anything really strenuous. This makes sense. A horse that is trying to cool down has a harder time digesting food, and it could cause colic.
But what about supplements? We don't feed much, 2 handfuls of alfalfa pellets, 4-8 oz of the vitamin supplement depending on how hard they worked. 1 oz of a joint supplement and 3 oz of flax seed. Usually we feed about 6 oz of the vitamins, so 10 oz of supplement not including the alfalfa total. The only article I saw that had info about feeding supplement before and after, made it seem like feeding supplement after a ride can help the muscles strengthen? I didn't know if I read it right or if it was talking about something else?
So do you think I should wait an hour to feed supplement and hay? Or just hay? Is supplement fine to feed after a ride? Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have fed my horses pellets then went riding 10 minutes later,for a 4 hour ride.

Came home from 4 hour ride lots of trotting an canter. Unsaddled hosed of horses. An fed them 3 lbs of pellets within 20 minutes after hard workout.

Never have had a colic due to either feeding before or after ride... Never have waited an hour never have had issues. Do this all riding season long.

·
Banned
Misty is a spirited, talkative, lovable little brat! 14 hands, Grulla, speedy, naughty, and perfect1
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have fed my horse pellets then went riding 10 minutes later,for a 4 hour ride.

Came home from 4 hour ride lots of trotting an canter. Unsaddled hosed of horses. An fed the 3 lbs of pellets within 20 minutes after hard workout.

Never have had a colic due to either feeding before or after ride... Never have waited an hour never have had issues. Do this all riding season long.
See me to, I have never had a colic either, just found out this issue. I just want to make sure I am not risking anything.

Reactions: rambo99

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If your horse has been fine with it I wouldn't worry. I've been doing the feeding before an after riding and never waited an hour.

Doesn't sound like you're feeding a huge amount so I think it will be fine.

·
Banned
904 Posts
So I have looked at a handful of articles explaining why you shouldn't feed a horse immediately after a ride. It said you should wait an hour to ride after your horse has ate, and an hour after the ride before feeding.
Interesting, I’ve heard that a horse should be fed before and after a ride. I dknt feed before but I do after as a treat. I give 4 cups of Lympia pellets, 2 handfuls of lucerne chaff, 1 table spoon of dolomite, 1 table spoon of calcium and 2 cups of oil. I don’t know if any supplements that should be given immediately after a ride. I have heard that calcium after workouts for humans helps build up muscle but whether or not it’s the same with horses I don’t know

Reactions: MistyMare

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
It sounds like what you're feeding is mostly roughage, and horses should always always always have hay in their bellies before rides. Really they should have hay in their bellies all the time, but especially before rides, as the activity can cause ulcers from the stomach acids sloshing around with nothing to do, so to speak. I personally would feed that before a ride -- or after as long as they've been cooled out -- and not think twice about it.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
I often feed my horses dried hay pellets - about a coffee can's worth - after a ride. But our riding is relaxed and they stop to grab bites as we go along, so MY experience isn't relevant to a lot of sport horses. Heck, my horses seem to think tumbleweeds are a treat....

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like what you're feeding is mostly roughage, and horses should always always always have hay in their bellies before rides. Really they should have hay in their bellies all the time, but especially before rides, as the activity can cause ulcers from the stomach acids sloshing around with nothing to do, so to speak. I personally would feed that before a ride -- or after as long as they've been cooled out -- and not think twice about it.
Okay, this is what I was doing before. Thanks for the info. That was what I was thinking, people need food in there bellies before exercising, why not horses? So I won't worry about the no feed before a ride. Before I did more research I have just been waiting until they aren't huffing and puffing or sweaty before feeding them. So I guess I will just keep doing what I have been doing then. We are feeding hay along with the supplement, all ways supplement first though. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
That article is outdated. It is best for horses to be fed roughage immediately before riding so they have less acid sloshing around, to prevent ulcers. Horses can eat immediately after exercise, and ideally riders will allow horses to eat during longer rides.
If endurance riders had to wait before feeding their horses, they'd never make it through their holds.
The modern understanding is that horses can be fed and watered before, during and right after exercise.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That article is outdated. It is best for horses to be fed roughage immediately before riding so they have less acid sloshing around, to prevent ulcers. Horses can eat immediately after exercise, and ideally riders will allow horses to eat during longer rides.
If endurance riders had to wait before feeding their horses, they'd never make it through their holds.
The modern understanding is that horses can be fed and watered before, during and right after exercise.
Okay, so I won't worry about supplement and will feed that right after the ride. But I am going to continue to cool them down before feeding hay. I won't be to strict about it though. Thanks for all the info! I will make sure they have a full belly before rides as well! I appreciate it!

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Banned
104 Posts
Are we talking about feeding BEFORE or AFTER riding? People seem to be talking about two different times, and therefore different feeds (hay, grain, supplements, et cetera).

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are we talking about feeding BEFORE or AFTER riding? People seem to be talking about two different times, and therefore different feeds (hay, grain, supplements, et cetera).
I originally asked if it was okay to feed supplement after a ride, since I had read that you shouldn't feed anything for an hour after a ride. I also wasn't convinced it was good information that you shouldn't feed before a ride, so that got cleared up. So I think they were answering that, and saying that supplements can be fed immediately after, and hay you just have to wait until they are cooled down.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
But to clarify, you don't need to cool the horse out before feeding hay. You could, for example, have a bin of hay waiting after a horse was ridden two hours, and let the horse eat while being untacked. You can also let horses stop to eat grass any time during a ride or right after.

Just think, horses are made to exercise and eat continuously throughout the day and night. They might run across a field and be eating 30 seconds later.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But to clarify, you don't need to cool the horse out before feeding hay. You could, for example, have a bin of hay waiting after a horse was ridden two hours, and let the horse eat while being untacked. You can also let horses stop to eat grass any time during a ride or right after.

Just think, horses are made to exercise and eat continuously throughout the day and night. They might run across a field and be eating 30 seconds later.
Ya, that makes sense. I won't worry about it then, wild horses didn't think " Oh, I need to wait until I am cooled down to eat grass, or I could colic" Thanks, I usually let them eat grass while they are riding as well. Thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
6 Posts
i feed my horse his bucket of supps, pellets, electrolytes, etc after a ride - about 20 - 30 minutes after - and he's not had a problem. at my barn most owners feed only after work so they get a 'reward' bucket.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i feed my horse his bucket of supps, pellets, electrolytes, etc after a ride - about 20 - 30 minutes after - and he's not had a problem. at my barn most owners feed only after work so they get a 'reward' bucket.
I ride trails and field, usually on 2-3 hour rides. We do a lot of galloping and trotting. Since my work isn't light, I have never really worried about not feeding before, until I saw those article a bit ago. Glad I check here, because I don't want my Misty to be starving on our rides! Our supplement is usually the reward bucket! Lol!

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I'm a terrible person when it comes to that. I it is a good rule of thumb to follow but I tend to cheat and will throw feed out when I catch (to keep the others from trying to come out the gate when I get the one I want and then I'll give him a few handfuls of grain while I tack up and then I'll ride. I normally get my ride in right before feeding time. Unless I'm in a hurry I do let him graze for 20-30 minutes while I take care of chores before I give them dinner. I'm not really riding mine hard though...

Reactions: MistyMare
1 - 18 of 18 Posts