The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions needed for what feed to feed my 35 year old Cushings pony with missing teeth. Have been feeding a chopped hay but worry about his quidding. Would like to supplement with Equine Senior, Triple Crown Senior or any other suggestions. He does get timothy cubes and pellets soaked. Also small amount of Triple Crown Essential K with GLC. Just picks at the Equal Balance chopped hay and really goes to waste. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Couple of questions. Is he taking Prascend? How is he doing overall-do you need to add weight, maintain weight, something else?

One Cushings-safe feed that has worked well for my older (mid-20s) Cushings mare is Speedibeet- it's a rolled, molasses free beet pulp that soaks up into a high volume very quickly. It's a great way to get more forage into them, if that's a need.

Overall though, I'd recommend buying a month-long subscription to the FeedXL program (I believe it's $20 for the month). That will allow you to enter all the specifics to come up with a good plan.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I would look into the Sentinel feeds - they are pressure cooked so they are loose pellets rather than hard pressed pellets, and soak super well. I've had these suggested to me by those that have Cushing's horses, and horses with missing teeth. This is the feed I will switch to if my old guy ends up losing any of his teeth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple of questions. Is he taking Prascend? How is he doing overall-do you need to add weight, maintain weight, something else?

One Cushings-safe feed that has worked well for my older (mid-20s) Cushings mare is Speedibeet- it's a rolled, molasses free beet pulp that soaks up into a high volume very quickly. It's a great way to get more forage into them, if that's a need.

Overall though, I'd recommend buying a month-long subscription to the FeedXL program (I believe it's $20 for the month). That will allow you to enter all the specifics to come up with a good plan.
Yes he is on Prascend and thyro l. He is maintaining his weight for now but struggles with the chopped hay. Picks through it and eats some. It cost $25.00 a bag and they waste a lot. He is in with a mini (overweight) donkey. Never heard of Speedibeet, I will have to check on that. Just looking to keep him going. He is on Smart Pak senior pellets and hoof supplements.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes he is on Prascend and thyro l. He is maintaining his weight for now but struggles with the chopped hay. Picks through it and eats some. It cost $25.00 a bag and they waste a lot. He is in with a mini (overweight) donkey. Never heard of Speedibeet, I will have to check on that. Just looking to keep him going. He is on Smart Pak senior pellets and hoof supplements.
Are you in the United States?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Yep, I'm in VT. There is a US distributor of Speedibeet based in NH: All natural beet pulp supplement for horses
Fortunately I can get it bagged a few different local feed stores, but they do ship as well. I can't remember if chewy.com carries it or not, but if they do, that's good for free shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts