The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to stop this habit my gelding has at feeding time. When being fed his feed which is soaked alfalfa cubes,with a vit/min mixed in. He paws and bites his legs.

He always has hay to eat ,so not from standing around with nothing to eat for hours on end.

He'll paw/ bite legs when I put out more hay also, he's never out of hay. So not because he's hungry.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
I have one with chronically square toes because he paws like that. Another I know does the pawing and then holds his hoof up and randomly strikes out while eating.

I went through the whole stand there and correct him until he doesn't if I am there but does if I am not. If he isn't hurting himself and this is an established habit is there an issue with him continuing? My only concern would be the biting indicating pain when he bends to eat.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Ditto @QtrBel. I wouldn’t worry except for the biting-might-equal-pain-part.

He could have tooth issues, even if he just got them done, something could have been missed.

He could have something hurting hen he swallows.

Have you noticed any resistance or rude behavior when you brush or curry his chest, all the way down between his legs?

Rusty has had digestive issues in the past that two traditional vets just shrugged their shoulders at, but the holistic vet who practices Chinese Medicine fixed with massage and herbs.

Rusty had got to where tolerating any metal currying device down his neck was out of the question and he was getting to where a soft bristled brush wasn’t looking good either.

He never pawed or bit himself at feeding time but every horse’s pain quirks are different:)

Reactions: Kalraii and loosie

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He likes being groomed no where seems sore. Was just seen by vet/chiro about 2 weeks ago. Was fine then no issues were found.

When out riding he has no issues putting head down to pick grass. Both pawing an biting at legs started about a month ago.

Guess I'll just let him do his pawing/ biting legs. I let him be crabby about cinching up. I'll get a bucket to hang on fence for feeding him,so he can't dump feed on ground,when pawing at pan.

He's just scuffing hair up on legs from biting at them, noticed it today when tacking up.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Makes me wonder if he has pinched a nerve. Perhaps just raising the pan some will help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts