The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a apha yearling that’s 19 months old. I’m wondering if she should be on Purina Omolene 100 or 200. I’m open to buying other types of feed as well. I just started her on 2 quarts of Omolene 100 mixed with 1 quart of whole oats. She gets that twice a day and gets 2 quarts of alfalfa timothy cubes that I soak with her evening meal. She’s currently on 24/7 pasture time (little amount of grass in the pasture due to winter) and has 24/7 access to fescue hay. Interested in hearing what others feed their yearlings.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I fed the yearlings with ad lib good quality hay and a feed balancer, no sweet feed at all.

You want them to grow steadily, over feeding and them getting overweight puts strain on young joints.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I prefer free choice hay and Purina Equine Jr to any of the Omolenes. If you can't get Jr, then I'd go with Strategy and 3rd choice would be Omolene 200. I've found that feeding Jr works really well until they're 2, which she just turned since it's after Jan. At around 2 yrs, I switch mine over to Strategy and then, if they're fairly easy keepers, I switch over to Enrich ration balancer when they're done growing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question. What percentage per body weight of feed do you guys feed your yearlings. Everything i’ve researched has said anywhere from .5 to 1.5lbs per 100lbs of body weight. My filly is about 750 to 800lbs based on her heartgirth/bodylength. So i’m figuring she’ll need about 7 to 8lbs of feed a day.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Since JR is designed to be a complete feed, it wants to be fed at a higher rate than others, around 14 lbs/day for an 800 lb horse with moderate growth rate. I feed my show horses Ultium Growth and that feeding chart says about 7 1/4 lbs/day for the same horse. Strategy says about 8 1/4 lbs/day, all with about 10 lbs of hay (which I think is kind of light especially if they have hay or pasture 24/7). I feed according to the feeding directions on the feed bag. Too much over and they can get too much of certain nutrients and too much under and they won't get enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.