The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my mare is has a scoop of grain in the morning and at night. With the scoop in the morning she gets two ish flakes and the same at night. She gets a flake or two in the afternoon and then is turned out onto grass for an hour or so.
I was thinking that the only reason she is being fed grain is because every other horse at the barn gets fed it. I don't think she really needs it? I am moving soon and she is going to come with me and I was thinking that maybe it would be a good time to try out all day turn out with hay and just leave out the grain. She's not getting any supplements so yea. I guess my question is how should I go about cutting out grain? And i heard something about the water weight in grass can affect them in weird ways? I don't know, I'm curious.

·
Registered
327 Posts
dont forget about there mineral and vitamin requirements. That may work for her but i would suggest still getting a min/vit sup and mix it with just a little bit of grain or soaked beet pulp. That way she is not short on something your grass/hay might not provide or provide enough of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.