The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Very cute vid, but may I ask why you allow your dog to chase, and jump up and 'grab' at your horses???? Not only could he one day decide to chomp down on something, but he could get seriously injured if your horses decide "that's ENOUGH!!!" It looks like he's a Setter, as well??? So he's already got a high prey drive...he needs to learn how to use it in a more constructive manner; chasing livestock is not the way to let him 'play'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay WOW. So didn't ask what anyone thought about the dog. I wouldn't get so snippy but I have ZERO control over the dog being out there. She is of no danger to the horses and she has already been kicked... she isn't my dog so if the owner (my step dad) doesn't care there is nothing I can do. If I had it my way the dog wouldn't even be in there but she lives in there. I was NOT letting her play... she stays in there. So thanks for assuming that I'm sending a dog out to run with frisky horses. Not the best set up for the dog but she isn't mine. Yeah... I 'allow' the dog to run around like an idiot. Sure.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Okay WOW. So didn't ask what anyone thought about the dog. I wouldn't get so snippy but I have ZERO control over the dog being out there. She is of no danger to the horses and she has already been kicked... she isn't my dog so if the owner (my step dad) doesn't care there is nothing I can do. If I had it my way the dog wouldn't even be in there but she lives in there. I was NOT letting her play... she stays in there. So thanks for assuming that I'm sending a dog out to run with frisky horses. Not the best set up for the dog but she isn't mine. Yeah... I 'allow' the dog to run around like an idiot. Sure.
All I saw was the dog running the horses...I wasn't snippy, I was concerned... I didn't say you sent the dog in there, either, but I also didn't hear the pooch being called off either. So what else could I assume that maybe the owner thought it was 'funny', rather than potentially disasterous? There are other options for the pup when you are out with the horses, like tying her up, having a lead on her (if you're just letting the horses run around and burn some steam) or putting her in a stall; anything would be better than what is currently happening, and if your step dad doesn't care about her, someone needs too; I'm afraid that's the wrong attitude to have about her...I know I couldn't stand there and see that happen every time the horses wanted to run.

I love dogs, and I've always had a trail partner (not right now, due to where I live), but I never allow them to chase, they stay next to me when I'm out in the pasture, and know a good recall\come before they are ever allowed 'free run' of the pasture when I'm in it. The dog is probably bored out of her mind if she's all by herself day in and day out, so maybe bring some treats out with you, and teach her tricks...instead of looking at her as someone else's problem.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Directed at me I presume...

I guess I'm the only one who cares about what happens to that dog...she's already been kicked once, I guess the next one needs to be a fatal blow...Come on, seriously?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love that green blanket!
Ain't it great! :) He stands out in a major way lol

:roll:

I love your fence Fancy ! hehe
Someone on another forum said they were gonna steal my fence idea haha but I stole it from my friend first. I love it and it does its job. :)

Directed at me I presume...

I guess I'm the only one who cares about what happens to that dog...she's already been kicked once, I guess the next one needs to be a fatal blow...Come on, seriously?
I kinda hope it was...
She has been kicked more than once, never hurt. And she is someone elses problem. I barely manage to have time to train and love on my horses most days and I am not going to spend my time on the dog. SHE IS NOT MY DOG. So can we drop it? I have absolutely ZERO say in what happens to her. When my step dad decided to put her in there I warned him about her getting kicked and he felt sure she would be fine. That is all I can do. The dog is a happy friendly doofus who gets excited and chases the horses around on rare occasion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think thats adorable... nice video.

and I'm pretty sure dogs get kicked all the time, the horses don't seem to care so much. Imho I'd just let the dog learn its lesson and get kicked, if something were to happen. Don't people learn that way?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The first think I saw was that anoying dog jumping around like a lunatic.

I do not allow any dog to jump up at my horse like that. I dont even let any dog in the ring with my horses. Tie him up. Even if it wasnt my dog I would have enough of a brain to realize its not a good idea. And I would have some compasion about his welfare.

I'm pretty sure dogs get kicked all the time
Yes, and get broken legs and brain damage and even.... get killed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Now come on guys she wasn't asking for advice, or anything of that sort..
If she believes the dog is no threat I would just leave her to worry over this.

She just said she has no control over the dog, and the video simply wasn't about the dog. There is no since in nit picking at things like this. Whats the fun in that? She explained the situation so I would just leave it alone. It is her, and her family's business. Sorry, if I came off harsh, but I've seen alot of this lately.

I think your horses look like they are having a great time :)
I also like the green blanket too, hehe.
Cute video!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry for the double post..
I just watched it again, and those horses don't seem the least bit phased over that dog..

Also, Mom2Pride you do not know this dog.
So, I wouldn't be making accusations like those.
The horses were just feeling their oats, and the dog was wanting to join in :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
After all the dog WAS getting exercise. I trained my dogs to not chase the horses, I was worried about the horses getting bit or falling.

If the dog gets kicked, its HIS fault.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I have to 100% agree with Lacyloo and Painted Hotrod. I have a young dog, yes I dont let him chase my mare around but when he is loose he has been warned by multipule horses at my barn and picks up on the clue they are a bit bigger. So really if he gets kicked, or bit or anything lesson learned, dogs are very smart... okay most lol. Nice video. ANd really I think people hould really read what people say in there thread to begin with then think about what is said cause today I have looked at sooo many postes and people bashing eachother and then when the point is across to the other person everyone jumps on them. I personly dont make alot of threads becouse of this. If i havea question or anything I look on the forum to see if anyone else has the same question. kinda sad.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Sorry for the double post..
I just watched it again, and those horses don't seem the least bit phased over that dog..

Also, Mom2Pride you do not know this dog.
So, I wouldn't be making accusations like those.
The horses were just feeling their oats, and the dog was wanting to join in :)
Gee, what a contradiction you just made there about dropping it... I made an observation for crying in a bucket, and stated WHY I said what I did. It's your turn to leave it alone.

Sorry for growing up knowing to train my dogs to behave better, and actually involving them in my daily life; I know she was just having a good time, but she's doing it because she doesn't know anything else, because no one else plays with her. The OP says she lives out there...what kind of boring life is that? Why have the dog if that's the case? JMHO I'm not saying it's the op's fault, which is why I asked why the dog was running around like an idiot in the first place...

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I think thats adorable... nice video.

and I'm pretty sure dogs get kicked all the time, the horses don't seem to care so much. Imho I'd just let the dog learn its lesson and get kicked, if something were to happen. Don't people learn that way?
Yeah, and one of the boarding facility I was at for awhile had an owner who thought it was cute that her dogs liked to 'play' with the horses too, and one day WHILE I was in the barn with my horse tied, her dogs decided to try and come and play with my horse while he was tied up, and when he wouldn't move, they grabbed at his heels...I'm sorry, but it's not cute. To each his own, but my horse didn't trust dogs again after that. I had stepped into the tack room for literally 5 seconds, and was on my way back out, but couldn't do anything about it, it happened so fast.

OP...Trust, me, now that I've heard that you have no control over the poor dog's penning situation, I don't blame you for what's happening, just want you to know why I am concerned abou it. :wink:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
It's hard to really know the true feelings of someone's response because you never see them. The responses to your thread should have perhaps been worded a little differently but you have to be careful when posting videos on the web. I think it's fair to assume(that as tolerant AND as gorgeous as your horses are), someone on the forum was bound to bring the dog up.
I must say that it was also the first thing I saw and got concerned about. Not everyone has common sense, and evidently you knew of the dog situation but I think the responses might have been directed to someone who may have not realized, which was not the case.

Simply ignore the responses that did not directly pertain to the original purpose of your thread :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts