The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my horse, me. I rode her down the road for the first time yesterday. I hacked down to our crops and came onto the road from there, and then walked past the neighbours and kept going right to our own driveway. It went really well, except for one moment when Nell had a bit of a freak out at the cars because their stupid drivers refused to move over ( a lot of people got to see what my middle finger looks like :oops:). I've heard so many horror stories about horses and cars, that that was all I could think about, and I was a big tense ball of nerves. Anyone have any advice on how to relax when we're out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Around my area that I drive my horse is crazy. The road is 35 and most are going 50. They never slow down. Half the time they never move over. So we asked a local cop to sit at the corner. Super nice guy. He is catching speeders right and left. He calls the drivers over all the time to talk.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
LOL, thankfully, most the folks around here are pretty considerate.

One thing I've always thought about doing though....keep a few little baggies of watered down horse poo and if a driver comes along that doesn't slow down or move over, throw it at their windshield :twisted:.

That might get someone in trouble though...

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Awesome plan Smrobs, but it might get you shot. It sure is a temptation to try it though!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
When I kept my horses at this Farmer's property, where I also taught, he kept taking back places for us to ride. My DH and I took to crossing a state highway and riding some of the back roads. I HATED IT. Driver's are always inconsiderate and that makes riding a busy road very dangerous. If you get out of the way by riding in the ditch you encounter garbage, which is often glass and twisted metal. Please reconsider riding along this road. If someone hits you they will probably survive, but you and your horse won't. You will never know it when they hit you, and some drivers get a thrill out of driving too close.
Honestly, it looks like you have plenty of space already.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around my area that I drive my horse is crazy. The road is 35 and most are going 50. They never slow down. Half the time they never move over. So we asked a local cop to sit at the corner. Super nice guy. He is catching speeders right and left. He calls the drivers over all the time to talk.
You can do that?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Oh, yes, you can notify local law enforcement. There are standing rules in most places that vehicles are supposed to respect the equine right-of-way. It's about like cyclists and pedestrians.

If the people are speeding down the road constantly, call the local cops and ask if they'd be willing to patrol that road. Of course, it's no guarantee that they will, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might do that then.
Is there anything about people trying to spook horses by laying on their horns?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Road riding makes me very nervous. First, you never know what your horse is going to step on. Second, the drivers are insane. My barn is right next to a "highway" where the speed limit is never considered. I could cross it confidently, but riding along it bothers me, so I don't.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I am one of those people w a horror story, :?, so I avoid paved roads. But, I live on a private dirt road that doesn't get much traffic...but it is for cars.:) I ride on it to get to the BLM gate. I had my husband drive passed me during a few of the first couple times "out" with my mare (then, filly), and will do so w my current filly when the time comes. That way it is very "controlled" for everyone - very "relaxed", if you know what I mean. Maybe you can find an untraveled road and do the same - for your benefit.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
If cars are whizzing by, your fears are very real. They are there to protect you from a very real danger. If you can't get way off the side of the road, maybe you should not ride there at all.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am one of those people w a horror story, :?, so I avoid paved roads. But, I live on a private dirt road that doesn't get much traffic...but it is for cars.:) I ride on it to get to the BLM gate. I had my husband drive passed me during a few of the first couple times "out" with my mare (then, filly), and will do so w my current filly when the time comes. That way it is very "controlled" for everyone - very "relaxed", if you know what I mean. Maybe you can find an untraveled road and do the same - for your benefit.
There is a dirt road near by, but I would still have to walk along the paved road to get to it. The reason why I want to take the road, is to get to the public trails, which is right beside the work field (practically in my uncle's driveway), so it's a very short trip, and I would also like to get to my aunt's house to use her dirt arena, proper jumps, and guidance. I'm trying to see if I my dad will put a gate in the hay field, so we won't have to walk on the road so far.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can't get way off the side of the road, maybe you should not ride there at all.
There is a wide gravel shoulder, and in most parts there is grass beside that. For right now, we are practicing on the grass outside of the paddocks that is actually our property.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
I think putting up the new gate so that you can access the trails more safely is a great idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.