The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, today I was in the arena working on some trot transitions when one of the barn helpers walked in with a new shovel - metal, shiny and HUGE. Clearly, a horse-eating monster. My generally chilled guy, Robyn, a school horse with some personality, showed no sign of interest until he did, offering a sudden sideways jump that threw me completely off (I was frankly taken off guard as he hadn’t show any tension up until then), I landed on my feet just next to his head but before I could congratulate myself for doing so, I was propelled by the motion and then fell on my bottom. I somehow held the reins until that point. He looked at me curiously. I went back up and continued my class.
It is my second fall, and the first after becoming a rerider (my previous fall happened in 1993! And was much worse, following a bolt). I feel so good. Like, something you are SO scared of just happens to you and you see it’s no big deal. I know I was lucky in this instance and it can and usually is so much worse, and I know I need to work on my seat and my muscles so I can sit these spooks but this event kind of took away a lot of the anxiety around “what could happen”. I sat two similar darts in the past but I was ready for them because I could notice the horse was getting worked up. In this case it was completely random. Anyway. I have some sand in my mouth now (not sure how!) and will take the rest of the day easy but I feel I made some progress today. In my mind, at least.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,001 Posts
Haha YEP, I know this feeling well!! I have fallen a lot over the years, but not very much as a rerider, at all. And until last May, I had never fallen off of my main lesson/lease horse (whom I now own), Elle. When I finally did fall off of her, after five years of riding her, it was strangely a huge relief. She spun in a spook at... who knows what... and I landed fine in some soft grass.

Had a nearly identical fall from her in January, too, but in the indoor arena, where I landed in... soft sand. I don't know what caused either spook, as she seemed fine before them in both cases. They served as good reminders that falls aren't always a big deal, and don't usually cause injury. It also familiarized me with the "style" of fall I can probably expect off of her. And as they both were a somewhat gradual process, I'm less worried now about the consequences.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
My one fall came when my horse spooked during a dismount. I hit a small rock with my back and had to give up jogging for almost 10 years. Had I landed about 3 feet away, it would have been on top of some jagged boulders and I might have never walked again. I view all falls as potentially extremely serious and wish we would take them MORE seriously.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I rode a lot as a young person, and I only fell off twice. Took 20-ish years off and I've been riding again for about 4 years. No falls yet, lots of close calls (my guy is super spooky, he loves a good jump sideways or a huge spin and bolt). I've built it up to this huge thing in my head and there is a lot of anxiety around it. Sometimes I wish I would just come off so I could get over the hump and know it's survivable, but at the same time, I know it could be really bad. I always wear a helmet now and I've considered a safety vest, too.
I'm glad your fall was a good one!

·
Registered
49,269 Posts
I've fallen many times, and most have been the type of fall you describe, though I didn't land on my feet before hitting my bottom. It's basically a 'roll down the horse's shoulder and land flat on my back' sort of fall. Not pleasant, but not devastating, either.
Falls where one is airborne for a bit, well, they are a different story.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I used to fall off regularly (unsuitable school horses in a non-horsey country - there isn’t much choice). I was literally falling off once or twice a month for three years straight. And I am not young.

Then I got my own mare and I never fell off again. Until four years in she LAUNCHED me. She never showed even a hint of bucking previously. Or since - two years later. It is still a mystery what happened. It wasn’t an insect bite because it was in the middle of winter and she showed no signs of anything being wrong when I got back on. Weird things, horses.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am riding for 2 years now and I fell of once as a beginning rider. I lost a stirrup out in the woods and the horse wouldn't stop. We were galopping and I fell hard on the ground (I saw the other horses jump over me to avoid hitting me). I was wearing a body protector and a helmet. The protector saved my ribs from being broken and my helmet cracked. I bruised my leg very severely and it hurt for half a year... :s I always wear a body protector and a helmet. I don't care if it looks stupid, you never know. In these 2 years the occasional buck and rearing DID happen so I always feel better knowing that I have that extra protection... I love my hobby and I love horses, but it is a dangerous sport. :)
and oh yeah, I am well aware this happened to me because of rookie mistakes! I don't think I would make the same stupid mistakes now, but I will make more in the future... :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've fallen many times, and most have been the type of fall you describe, though I didn't land on my feet before hitting my bottom. It's basically a 'roll down the horse's shoulder and land flat on my back' sort of fall. Not pleasant, but not devastating, either.
Falls where one is airborne for a bit, well, they are a different story.
Oh man, yes that must hurt so badly!! :S I often pity those poor riders on eventing and once I saw a girl being launched during jumping...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am riding for 2 years now and I fell of once as a beginning rider. I lost a stirrup out in the woods and the horse wouldn't stop. We were galopping and I fell hard on the ground (I saw the other horses jump over me to avoid hitting me). I was wearing a body protector and a helmet. The protector saved my ribs from being broken and my helmet cracked. I bruised my leg very severely and it hurt for half a year... :s I always wear a body protector and a helmet. I don't care if it looks stupid, you never know. In these 2 years the occasional buck and rearing DID happen so I always feel better knowing that I have that extra protection... I love my hobby and I love horses, but it is a dangerous sport. :)
and oh yeah, I am well aware this happened to me because of rookie mistakes! I don't think I would make the same stupid mistakes now, but I will make more in the future... :D
Uuuuh sorry to hear this and crazy that you write it just now as I came back from riding in the woods, with stirrups all over the place today... but I didn’t attempt to gallop. And absolutely, I have vest and helmet - always - even when I just groom. Thanks so much for writing (looks like we are neighbors? I’m in Zurich, CH).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Uuuuh sorry to hear this and crazy that you write it just now as I came back from riding in the woods, with stirrups all over the place today... but I didn’t attempt to gallop. And absolutely, I have vest and helmet - always - even when I just groom. Thanks so much for writing (looks like we are neighbors? I’m in Zurich, CH).
Hi, I am in Belgium, so almost neigbours. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, today I was in the arena working on some trot transitions when one of the barn helpers walked in with a new shovel - metal, shiny and HUGE. Clearly, a horse-eating monster. My generally chilled guy, Robyn, a school horse with some personality, showed no sign of interest until he did, offering a sudden sideways jump that threw me completely off (I was frankly taken off guard as he hadn’t show any tension up until then), I landed on my feet just next to his head but before I could congratulate myself for doing so, I was propelled by the motion and then fell on my bottom. I somehow held the reins until that point. He looked at me curiously. I went back up and continued my class.
It is my second fall, and the first after becoming a rerider (my previous fall happened in 1993! And was much worse, following a bolt). I feel so good. Like, something you are SO scared of just happens to you and you see it’s no big deal. I know I was lucky in this instance and it can and usually is so much worse, and I know I need to work on my seat and my muscles so I can sit these spooks but this event kind of took away a lot of the anxiety around “what could happen”. I sat two similar darts in the past but I was ready for them because I could notice the horse was getting worked up. In this case it was completely random. Anyway. I have some sand in my mouth now (not sure how!) and will take the rest of the day easy but I feel I made some progress today. In my mind, at least.

Just took my first fall yesterday after showing and training for 55 years. I guess I don't bounce like I did one, because I dislocated my shoulder!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those "unscheduled dismounts" - ugh. I last came off about 6 weeks ago when my horse bucked me off. I didn't think much was sore til Iater when my elbow and arm was wet inside three layers - my winter jacket and two thin layers. He got my elbow and it managed to open up my skin. And my baby finger on the right hand - I guess he hit me with one of his feet as he went over me.

Then yesterday with my new gelding Boo. He spooked at some weird noise and as he was jouncing around I can feel myself become unseated. Thinking, am I going to fall off? Ha, I lost both my stirrups and my reins were loose...but he stopped and I recovered (embarrassed from loosing everything). Thank you silicone seat and sticky saddle leather!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts