The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding Elle yesterday. Her part boarder had recently had a pretty bad fall off of a different horse at the barn, and wanted some company for her ride to feel a bit more confident. So the plan was to take turns riding Elle, and lunge the other horse. So, of all the days, and all the horses... it had to be off the steady Eddie old reliable confidence-builder schoolmaster.

I've been riding Elle since autumn of 2015, and my only fall off of her (until yesterday, cough) was last spring when she did a sudden 180 spin spooking at something at the back of the property. Well!

All was going absolutely fine. I was on Elle warming her up, and my part boarder was just through the doorway in the aisle getting the other horse, Parker, ready. I had just started trotting Elle, and had her on a fairly loose rein to let her stretch out for warm-up, when BAM she did a spin in a corner near the mounting block and stacked round bales -- completely opposite from the corner that usually makes her look twice, oddly enough. I didn't immediately come off, but she sort of kept jogging (I think -- hard to say when you're half-hanging off the side of a horse) so I couldn't really get my bearings and gradually slid down to the ground and landed fairly gently on my butt.

I was juuuust out of view of where my part boarder was with Parker, so I walked over and said
"Oh my god, she just spooked at NOTHING?? in the corner!"
"Really? Why'd you get down?"
"I, uh, didn't..."
"Ohhh!"

I dusted myself off (quite literally, sand arena) and hopped back on and worked her pretty hard for the next ten minutes. My part boarder actually wasn't nervous at ALL getting on her and had a perfectly nice ride while I lunged Parker in the centre of the arena. I'm glad the fall didn't make her more rattled, and it probably helped that she didn't see it! I hopped on Elle for a third time at the end but by then I was too in my head and called it a day.

Theories:
There were lots of snowmobiles zipping around, not too close but the noise was carrying into the arena
There was a big chunk of snow on the ground near that corner, and while Elle rarely spooks at the BIG things, sometimes the little things make her look twice
Cats often jump around in and out and all over those round bales. They normally don't make Elle bat an eye, but if one really surprised her at the wrong moment, it could have done the trick
Arena ghost?
All of the above? "Too many rabbits," as Warwick Schiller would say?

Anyhow, I did the math. I've ridden Elle at least 600 times, and I have fallen off of her twice. That works out to a 99.66% chance of not falling off of her, which if I think about it, is pretty stellar. Sometimes crap just happens, and other than a bruise on my shoulder (??), so far I'm good. So hopefully I'll be feeling good to go for the next ride!!

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
I've come off quite a few times like that; the super fast 180 and then I sort of 'roll' down the shoulder, over onto my back and fall to the ground, flat on my back like an overturned beetle. Usually the thought that goes through my mind, as I'm rolling, is "I hope my foot comes out of the stirrups!" Then I hit the ground, my back goes ' c - u- u r- r -a-a- ck!" and I get free Chiropractic adjustmenst.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Then I hit the ground, my back goes ' c - u- u r- r -a-a- ck!" and I get free Chiropractic adjustmenst.
Someone posted once on here that they had chronic back pain. Then they had a bad fall where the horse rolled right over the top of them, their entire spine popped and cracked, and afterward they did not have back pain anymore. :oops:

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
My one fall kept me from jogging for 9 years. Kept me from riding with ANY fluidity in my back for 11 years. Still marginal there. I'm paranoid about falling, but I have good reason to be afraid!

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My one fall kept me from jogging for 9 years. Kept me from riding with ANY fluidity in my back for 11 years. Still marginal there. I'm paranoid about falling, but I have good reason to be afraid!
So far (knock on wood) my most serious injuries have been from really boring things. I had a months-long inflammatory pain flare that caused so much back, ankle, and foot pain I could barely walk and had to take T3s at night for a while just to sleep through the back spasms. The trigger? Injuring my TMJ (jaw joint) with an ill-fitting night-time grind guard. Meanwhile I've had 19 falls from horses (lifetime total) and done little more than bruise and scrape myself. (Again, knock on wood.) Bodies are crazy.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
Someone posted once on here that they had chronic back pain. Then they had a bad fall where the horse rolled right over the top of them, their entire spine popped and cracked, and afterward they did not have back pain anymore. :oops:
I can believe it. I think I've had somethings similar. But, one time I fell hard on the side o my pelvis, and it really reefed the joint that is right in the middle of the pubic bone. To this day, that joint is a bit 'loose' . . . sort of like pregnancy.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Great attitude... at least it was a slow, gradual fall! And you're right, the odds of falling off are slim to none when you look at it that way!

I realized the other day I have never fallen off a single horse in my whole life except Kodak. I fell off her at least six times. I stand by my decision to sell her, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts