The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother has had this pony he's been riding for a while. He doesn't really like to ride and isn't a very good rider nor is he willing to learn. Now we adopted out a lot of our rescues and we only have four horses left (two who are rideable) My brother really likes this pony but he doesn't want to ride him. Now under the assumption my brother wasn't going to ride any more we sold all his saddle and helment. He knew this but thought that meant he was just going to ride in my sister's and my tack. So this pony we're fighting over was going to become my riding pony (when i say pony he's literally one inch from being a horse) I started working with this pony more and riding more often. Now my brother had no idea I was doing this (I thought he knew) so now we both want to ride this pony even though i love to ride and my brother hates riding. I've also been working on using my legs while riding him and teaching him whoa as when my brother rode him he'd only tug on his mouth. And I'm afraid if my brother keeps on riding him he'll ruin my work. I really don't know what to do and hoping you guys could help.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
How old are you, and how old is your brother? Who owns the pony? Is this a pony your whole family has in common? Are your parents involved in any of the decision-making around the horse?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think it boils down to 1. Who actually legally owns the horse. and 2. who pays for the care/feed of the horse.

the answers to those questions will tell you who has authority over this particular horse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old are you, and how old is your brother? Who owns the pony? Is this a pony your whole family has in common? Are your parents involved in any of the decision-making around the horse?
They are in charge of the of the decision making. They already said that it was okay if I owned this pony but didn't really specify. I'd rather not say the exact age of me and my brother but we are young enough to still be living with our parents.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it boils down to 1. Who actually legally owns the horse. and 2. who pays for the care/feed of the horse.

the answers to those questions will tell you who has authority over this particular horse.
neither me or my brother are old enough to buy a horse or officially own it. (Under eighteen) my parents take care of the vet bills and feed. So technically they own the pony. We're simply just fighting over who will ride him, groom him, take care of his tack etc.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Only you know what kind of deal you can make with your brother. Trade something he wants that you can do or you have, for sole pony use.

It may reassure you to know that horses readily distinguish between riders, and if you regularly ride the pony well, he will always go well for you even if someone else is riding him poorly.

·
Super Moderator
13,873 Posts
Sounds more like once your brother tires of aggravating you he will find other things to pursue again...
He doesn't like to ride you already said...
He's doing this to irritate you...succeeding too it seems. :|
Till he tires of "riding"...instead of battling with him, try encouraging him and offer help in his riding.
He might turn out to be a good rider after all and or he just might find when he can't irritate you it isn't fun so will move on to other things that do. :|
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you have all been quiet helpful.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You should bring up all these points with your parents in a calm discussion. Let them know how much work you've put into the pony and what your concerns are. Be clear that you'd be fine with him riding the pony if he's willing to ride nicely, but that you're worried he'll undo your hard work. Be clear that it isn't that you're not willing to share, and you'll probably be taken more seriously.

Agree with the others who say he'll probably lose interest again once he feels he's made his point. Stay calm and mature about it and he'll get tired of trying to push your buttons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.