The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many of you remember since it's been several months, but my grandma took in an auction rescue horse around October. For those of you who are new or need a refresher, here's a quick summery.

A mare who was nearly skin and bones with last years winter coat still clinging to her was sent to auction. She was unable to eat and could only drool due to the state her teeth were in, and her hooves were far too long.
Her history?
She was a childs pony. One that any kid, no matter the riding level, could hop on and go. She had been used by countless children through her life until she got sick. Once she was no longer useful, she was pushed off to the side and forgotten until sent off to the auction. No care in thanks to the many years of service she'd provided to her people had been given to her.

A lady saw her and new she was special and worth saving, so she bought her for $200 and then proceeded to spend roughly another $1,000 into her with special feed, farrier, many vet visits, dental, and getting the right cushings medication this old gal so desperately needed.

At the same time, the lady also bought another horse. After the two arrived and were let loose in a pen, the lady needed help to catch this other horse and so I went and helped out. That's when I met Delilah, the sweet old pony who eagerly sought out your affection and was happy to accept any treats you may have on you.

A few weeks later, my grandma mentioned wanting to get another horse/pony to keep her little 34" inch pony company so he wasn't all alone. So I brought up this mare. We went to see her and my grandma instantly fell in love. A week later, the mare arrived and my grandma was given all the food and medicine that this old gal needed to get back into shape.

Over the months, my grandma formed a strong bond with Delilah. The mare would nicker every time she saw my grandma and greeted her at the gate. She was patient and would slowly as my grandma needed when being led around. She was a truly sweet pony. However, her body had been damaged too much. In December, my grandma noticed that Delilah would be down and struggle immensely to get up. There were times her back legs just simply couldn't support her any more. Standing was a struggle for poor Delilah.

So, at the start of January, after getting several other opinions and checks done, the decision was made. Delilah was to be humanely put down. She was too old and despite the love and care given to her, it was just too late. So with a heavy heart, my grandma said her goodbyes. She told me all about how Delilah had nickered to her and gone over to rest her head on my grandma's shoulder. These shared a special bond that was very obvious to see.

But then the day came and Delilah left the property and will never return. She is no longer in pain or falling down due to her body giving out. The old girl that gave her life to toting around children got to spend her final months in the warm comfort and care of my grandma who gave her the love and care that her previous owners had denied her.

This has been a very hard blow for my grandma. She's shed many tears over Delilah and honestly has seemed to have lost her interest in having any horses. A few weeks after Delilah passed away, my grandma sold her little pony who she's had for nearly 4 years. He did go to a great home, but it was just too hard on my grandma to keep horses around any longer after she'd poured so much of herself into helping Delilah and creating that strong bond only to have Delilah pass away. We are both glad for the time Delilah was here though. During those months, I saw my grandma smile so often and even start boasting about how well behaved her newest pony was and just sweet she was. She pretty much glowed when she spoke about that old pony lol.

So this has been a very hard time. But I remembered the first post I made here, introducing Delilah and everyone wanted an update, which I provided, and now, I am giving the very last and final update, of the rescue mare that stole my grandma's heart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never saw the first post, but this honestly touched my heart as my grandmother is going through a similar situation (an old horse who finally got to find the right home is getting old). Though horses like Delilah have had it rough its people like your grandma who make the difference. I'm sorry to hear that she passed away and that your grandma is having a hard time, but I wish you the best of luck to you and your grandma.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
So sorry you and your grandma lost Delilah, but I agree it’s wonderful she had a loving, happy home at the end.

I wonder if your grandma would enjoy volunteering at a place like a therapeutic riding program? Or maybe even participating in lessons herself if mobility is challenging? Having retired people involved in the program where I used to volunteer was a great experience for the horses and our younger riders.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm so, so, sorry to hear that. But you guys did the right thing for this mare, twice. You made her life better. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
How heartbreaking. And how dare people abandon their aging, sick old horses. Best to euthanize in those situations, than let an animal suffer or dump it on someone else. People really need to have a plan for their horses once they have gotten to the point where they can no longer do their job. It's just so unfair to them - and to your grandma.

But know that she gave Delilah the best possible life in her final days and that is a rare gift. I hope your grandma finds a way to have horses in her life again, but I totally understand if she doesn't. It is a big emotional investment (not to mention financial).

Goodbye Delilah.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your kind words everyone.
@egrogan Unfortunately our small town has nothing like that and my grandma has some health issues that would prevent her from being able to participate in something like that unfortunately.
@Acadianartist I have horses and through that, my grandma still has them around and she does quite like the one I have so she has found that to be a comfort

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Delilah loved your grandma and showed her how grateful she was to be treated with such love and kindness. It is hard on the heart to watch them go :hug: they just never are with us long enough.

I hope your grandma finds a new pony to love and care for, even if she does not feel up to owning one again.

The previous owners who left her to suffer after all she had done for them should be ashamed. To treat an elderly pony that way! Then send her to auction! Shameful :frown_color:

Thank you for the update, Sweet Delilah is at peace now, no more suffering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.