The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY! As you may have seen from my previous posts, it's been hell finding a decent farrier in my area..we've to settle for less than great for a long time and my horse was losing shoes left and right.

A friend was just telling me about a farrier she just recently switched back to..he had been out of the game for quite a few years because of a serious health issue. She had used him before this period and returned to him afterward and recommended him to us..so far things are looking good to me...I'd like to see what you guys think.
I caught a few quick pictures after the job.

So first here are the pictures from the last time the PREVIOUS farrier shod him after a lost shoe:

And here is the same foot after the first visit from the new farrier (after he ran around like a crazy thing for awhile):

And both feet..the one shown above is the far hoof in this picture

And here are his barefoot hind feet

Sorry, not the best pictures..I can try to get better ones if needed, but so far does it look better? I can only cross my fingers.
So far both shoes seem pretty solidly attached for once which is a great sign to me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Loads better :) They are much more balanced.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yes, much better. I hope you can have him out often to monitor. With the weakness in the walls, your poor horsey needs some lovin'! Thanks be for the new farrier.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Is there a reason you can't pull the shoes on his fronts and just use easyboots when he is ridden? If he were mine I would have him on biotin and pull the shoes.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So glad to hear it, everyone!

Yes, despite what some people will try to say, some horses can not be barefoot. I tried pulling his shoes and he went dead lame. I was told to keep trying and put him on high quality hoof supplements and put on easyboots when I took him out. Still lame. Tried keeping them on 24/7. Still lame. He developed laminitis and I had to put the shoes back on ASAP. Voila, normal horse, instantly.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh thats too bad. I wasn't questioning your decision, just trying to offer an idea. I've never had to have one of my own horses shod, they've always been barefoot. To me that is the ideal, but if he isn't comfortable without them what do you do?

I am sure glad you found a farrier that is better! The photos look a lot better.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if I seem a bit defensive, I'm at an NH barn and am used to people who are very forceful about barefoot, haha
I definitely see it as the ideal whenever possible, but it's tough with these TBs especially..there's always something wrong with this guy's feet, they're sore or too dry or too moist or they chip up and throw shoes or they're laminitic..sigh =/ haha
All of my previous horses have always been barefoot, though..it would be nice, for sure.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, I think I have just been spoiled by horses with beautiful hooves! =)

And please, no offense taken at all.

Say, have you seen that stuff that is like Bondo for hooves? I had a cow catch a claw and tear a great chunk out. Our vet sedated her and we used this "stuff" that he mixed together and pasted on, then it hardened and he sanded it down to basically make a new claw. It grew out and wore down as it healed. I bet it might be worth a try?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that like the Equipak stuff? I've always been interested in that..
None of the farriers around here seem to work with it, though..haha the farriers around here tend to be kind of...eh.
I'm just thankful to find one who can actually do his job, hahaha

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
You can to the Equipak yourself ya know... just though I would add that. His feet look a little better,, still could be a lot better, but they look more comfortable to walk on for sure. His hinds look beautiful.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yep it was something like that. It worked really good!

Do you have a leaky water trough? I had a friend with a leaky water trough. Her horses front hooves were all crappy from standing in the wet ground around the trough. Beautiful hinds, thin and shelly fronts with chips, cracks and chunks missing. Farrier finally noticed the ground was always wet there. Fixed the trough, and within a few months you could see a big difference.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Say, have you seen that stuff that is like Bondo for hooves? I had a cow catch a claw and tear a great chunk out. Our vet sedated her and we used this "stuff" that he mixed together and pasted on, then it hardened and he sanded it down to basically make a new claw. It grew out and wore down as it healed. I bet it might be worth a try?
Why not just use car bondo?? It is cheap, comes in quart cans and if you mix excess hardener is hardens in less then a minute. Then you file it and nail like normal.
I have used it for hoof repair and it grows out but didn't fall out

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I didn't know you COULD use bondo on hooves! Hey, much cheaper! I use bondo on my model horses and always have it around.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's definitely something to look into!
I'm thinking his fronts only still look the way they look because they still have damage from the lost shoes (work of the previous farrier). The job shown in the first pictures was done...maybe about a week before, so many of the chips and such haven't grown out yet, but they were mostly from before the farrier could come out to replace lost shoes.

The ground is pretty crappy this time of year, he is in a small paddock type deal, the kind of stalls that are outside and just have shelters over the front sections..and here at this area of my town we get horrible, horrible mud that stays for sometimes a month after it's stopped raining..then it does things like pour rain for two weeks straight and it looks like a swamp out there..then goes through this huge, long drying process where it's like hard clay as it drys, still mushy enough to be mud but HARD and sticky...it's hell on hooves, for sure.
Kainne's feet even with the bad farrier looked healthy and totally unchipped and didn't lose a single shoe until around the middle-end of winter.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I didn't know you COULD use bondo on hooves! Hey, much cheaper! I use bondo on my model horses and always have it around.
Why not?? That is my own personal horse and he stepped off a shoe. I hated the looks, the big missing chunk so I just used the bondo I have on the shelve. It never caused a problem, cheap, fast cure, and held until it grew out.
What's not to like???

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I see those front feet and right away thing of WLD. White line disease. It is rot going right up the white line destroying lamini.
I dread it, look for it carefully every time I shoe a horse and if I see any dark line where the white line should be I follow it up as far as it goes, exposing it to air.
To me it looks dead in behind the hoof wall. The only way to get it is to section it , exposing it until you run into healthy tissue.
With the shoe off you will see black gunk where the white line should be.
I think it is very serious. Far more then just chipped feet.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree with you Rios. I do think that there is more going on than just a lost shoe. She did say that he had laminitis at one point, which is a clue too.

To me, it looked like seedy toe, but unless I had the hoof in my hand I wouldn't know for sure.

I just didn't know if Bondo would be safe for hooves- my vet seemed to think you could only use hoof compound that was made for hooves. The repair looks GREAT and I will use it if I ever have a horse with a bad chip.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, I did forget to mention that...the farrier did address WLD and it is being treated. =)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.