The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Well, I am posting this because I just HAVE to share and only another horse lover would understand the massive heart longing of a lifetime a horse lover has. It is like something that is born in you. For as long as I can remember - it has been all about horses. Though I boarded a variety of horses my 12-13.5 years, I didn't have a horse of my own until now. I have horsey daughters now and my husband bent over backwards to make my dreams come true. Now I have an arabian pony (24 - our school master) for my little girls, a tennessee walker (22 - alpha) for my teen and visitors (and me because she's fun!), and "Skip" - my big 16 y.o., 16 hand Paint that used to do western pleasure trail showing. I just had to share that I feel like I'm 12 again and giddy with excitement. Love that God has blessed my socks off with horsies!!! (happy dance). Took our first trail ride yesterday with NO drama and it was right out of our property onto a lake. Someone please pinch me! All these years of reading and studying and lessons... I finally get to have a horsey :) Thanks for reading, and "HI!"

·
Registered
51 Posts
WOOT WOOT!!! AWESOME!! I just rescued my boy last weekend and it's been 10 years since I have owned and even ridden! My husband told me today he knows we made the right decision because I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since we brought him home! There is nothing that compares to having your own horse! Post some pics!!

Reactions: Jennerbear

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congratulations!!! I have been a horse lover my entire life as well and did not get my first horse until I was 36 and my dad bought him for me :) He said he always promised me a horse and if he had to wait until I was old enough to afford him and all that came with him, that was fine with him :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yay for horse dreams that come true! I'll be 40 this year myself and you sound exactly like me. Been around horses and took care of other people's horses for most of my life. But never had one of my own. Now I've got two. <3

·
Registered
909 Posts
Congratulations!!! I have been a horse lover my entire life as well and did not get my first horse until I was 36 and my dad bought him for me :) He said he always promised me a horse and if he had to wait until I was old enough to afford him and all that came with him, that was fine with him :)
My Daddy bought my first horse for me, in 1977. He just passed away last year. I will never be able to thank him enough for this life long passion!

It is great you have your own horses....welcome!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats!!!! I just got my first one at 44 and cannot believe my girlhood dreams came true~~~

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope to be posting this soon too. After being a horse crazy city kid with no money so no horses and spending a lot of years without horses around, I finally started lessons at 34 years old. My husband is starting to come around seeing how important it is to me. It truly will be my childhood dream coming true in a few years.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ps. A word of caution. Falling off at 46 feels much differently than 15. As I sit here with heat on my ankle from a nasty spill I took from bareback riding someone else's pony. ( I managed to stay on the 15 hh horse but fell off 12 hh and sprained my ankle).

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Jenner,

Congrats to you! I can completely relate.

I have had horses all my life, and was a working horse professional for 20 + years. But all I ever wanted was to have my horses on my own place, not boarded, not at a leased facility, not at a shared facility, but my own place, with no one else's considerations or preferences to take into account.

That lifelong dream came true for me a few months shy of my 50th birthday; and the joy I feel when I look out at our place and see my horses grazing hasn't abated in the 3 1/2 years since. Or when I come home after a hard day's work and turn in the drive and see my horses....

Enjoy! And please keep posting about your experiences here!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Congratulations! I cannot imagine there is anything better than being able to share your passion for horses with your daughters and to do so with your own horses. Fantastic!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing, everyone! I see I'm not alone, haha! This has been the best experience. Applying all the "lessons" and books and videos we've been saturating ourselves with has been a blast. The biggest saying I've been hearing is, "Miles in the saddle." I'm just in heaven :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Actually, that giddy feeling never goes away. I brought home my sixth horse this morning and had that same stomach jumping, stupid grin on my face the whole time. Congratulations to all of the first time owners. :)

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Congratulations on fulfilling your dream, it's a great feeling isn't it, can't wait to see pics.

I sit here with heat on my ankle from a nasty spill I took from bareback riding someone else's pony. ( I managed to stay on the 15 hh horse but fell off 12 hh and sprained my ankle).
Ponies are evil, so far, cross fingers, I've managed to stick to my big guys, but the Haffy has dumped me three times:lol:

Reactions: AQHSam

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Congrats! There's nothing like having the ponies in the yard to look at first thing of a morning and last thing of an evening. It just makes your heart glad. They're a lot more work than when you board but being able to go out and just sit and listen to them munch is enough of a reward to keep you doing it for years! Many more happy rides to you!

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Ps. A word of caution. Falling off at 46 feels much differently than 15. As I sit here with heat on my ankle from a nasty spill I took from bareback riding someone else's pony. ( I managed to stay on the 15 hh horse but fell off 12 hh and sprained my ankle).
I had been riding for YEARS on full sized horses and had taken spills from them for various reasons but none for just pure evil. A friend of mine had a little Sh*tland pony and ohhh he was soooo cute and I asked if I could ride him. I mean, a cute little horse I could easily just toss a leg over, not have to do the splits to just reach the stirrup, who knew? Yeah, that cute little ****** tossed me 3 times before I even came close to getting a ride on him. EEEEEEBIL pony!

Reactions: AQHSam
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.