The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As strange as this might sound, I enjoy it when other people want to come ride my horse. In a way, I see it as my karmic duty to give all those aspiring crazy horse girls an outlet. I was one of those once, too.

But now, I have a very green horse who becomes a crotch rocket with inconsistent work, and I'm too crippled to ride for long periods of time. Over the past year, my longest ride was about twenty minutes (diagnosed with disease that causes joint swelling and stiffness, compounded with previous horse related injuries) and I always limp afterwards. He needs miles, and I can't give them to him on my own.

I asked the horse people I know if they know anyone in need of more time in the saddle, but there seems to be an abundance of riderless horses rather than horseless riders. There's only one decent trainer in the area that I know of too, but she's usually booked solid and has no reason to come out for little old me with one single worthless backyard pony.

So how exactly do I advertise this when word of mouth has been a bust? All I need is someone who's confident on a forward horse. The only people I've found that are remotely interested in a ride are the people who went on one trail ride 12 years ago and think my horse is going to be just like one of those nose to butt rent-a-nags. I'm not asking money, I'd even pay money to someone with enough experience. But I've been getting nothing!

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Agree with the Facebook suggestion- for better or worse, that seems to be where to find horse people these days. I would have begged off FB years ago but pretty much all horse-related resources I use (aside from this Forum) are very active there. Weirdly, when I was looking for a trail-riding buddy, I posted an "in search of" ad on a northeastern-focused endurance FB page (a fairly large geographic area), and that resulted in me meeting a woman who lives literally within riding distance of my house. We just had never met locally before that. Go figure! We now ride together at least once a week, if not more often. At least when we're not covered in snow :wink:

If you have a local 4-H club or high school/college riding team, maybe that would be another place to look?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in south central PA by the MD boarder.

I've tried asking a few of the big lesson barns I know the owners of, and they're usually encouraging the kids to lease one of the lesson ponies there. Doesn't seem like there's any shortage of lesson ponies in need of rides either.

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Are you on facebook? There are Bucks County and Berks County horse groups.. could be there is one for your county also. I have some friends in the York area, so if you are near there I can ask them for additional suggestions.

·
Registered
49,450 Posts
Craigs List?

The IEA (can't remember the meaning exactly) . . . that group that gets young folks without their own horse into jumping competitions?

4H ? Ponyclub?

I'm probably not confident enough on such a forward horse, so even if I lived near you I would not be of any help. Sorry.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you were just a tad closer, I'd send over all my horsey college friends who always beg to borrow my horse for trail rides! College horsey people are the way to go, often too broke to own their own horse or take lessons but eager to get back on after being without since high school. Also (as my BO always laughs about) "still young and brave enough to not fear falling off a hot green horse" lol.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
I was having the same issue. Had a couple of people over to ride my greenie and they could not get him to do anything for them. I quickly realized that inexperienced riders on a greenie - even a really safe one - are a terrible idea because they'll just undo his training. And skilled riders are not interested (I tried). They want to make a living. You'd have to pay them to put training rides on your horse because really, that's what you're asking. I'd add that a couple of bolder riders showed interest in riding my spooky mare and I declined. Unless you are hiring a skilled trainer with insurance, you may be asking for trouble even though I'm sure you genuinely want to do this out of kindness. But if something were to happen, you could be held liable personally. I don't think it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
If there are trails where an ATV can be ridden, that might be a way to give the horse some extended exercise time. One with cushy suspension and power steering shouldn't be tiring. I've led my horse many miles on an ATV when retrieving from the range.

I would personally want to really know a lot about the person before they rode MY horse.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Definitely post on some local FB groups. :) Sign up & ask around! Maybe go to some smaller barns & ask around also.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Lesson barns are there to make money so it make sense that they want their riders to lease lesson horses. I think Facebook is your best bet but wonder if you will have to hire a trainer or send your horse to a training barn. I wonder about the liability of having someone ride your horse on your property or BO's property if they do not have a signed lease agreement.

With the baby boomer generation getting older and many of it's riders owning more than horse there is an abundance or horses "just needing a few more rides" I see it locally as well. And there seems to be a lack of younger folds just looking for a bit of practice. My daughter is a young rider and gets stopped quite often when we are out and about on our horses and she is asked if she would like to "ride" this or that horse for this person. Unfortunately, most people think she should do this for free or for "the fun of it" She always declines as 1. She has a green horse of her own 2. Her parents don't want to pay any medical bills that result from a "fun" ride and 3. She has to work to help pay for her college and cannot afford to not make money

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.