The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2yo arabian colt i purchased awhile back. I am trying to come up with a good 'nickname' for him. The only nickname i can seem to get from his registered name is Ali (which i don't care for) or something unsuitable to be calling him out loud :lol:.

Ibn Asmar Ali Arabian

Does anyone have any ideas based on the names in his pedigree? I was considering something based on Thee Desperado since he passed away this year and is on my boy's pedigree twice - just not sure what exactly.

Enclosing a pic and a video....any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
He's such a handsome boy! You've got some beautiful scenery around you too. I'm jealous. ;)

Regarding nicknames, what about "Marley;" Mar from Asmar, ley from Ali? I would also get "Ebony" out of Ibn, but it's sort of feminine. I think it's appropriate considering that gorgeous mane and tail, though.
You could call him "Desperado" or "Amigo" to represent his grand-sire. Or "Theo," as in "Thee-O" but pronounced normally. Or "Ian" if you steal an "a" from anywhere and replace the "b" in Ibn.
I'm not very good at this! Lol. I've never gotten to name any of my horses.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Many years ago I showed an Arabian named Ibn. I guess I always kind of liked that name, and I really liked the horse so it has a special place for me. Your horse is lovely. :)

Also had to add, I love the cute little voice in the video. "He's cute mommy" ha ha so adorable.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't know I kinda like Ali or Al. Otherwise, I would go with something from the area you live in. A place name or like Jericho, Jordan, Arcos, Alexander, Chad or somehow Basil is appealing to me but I stink at names.

Than again I call my horse Jerkface as a nick name, I mean it with all kindness and good will. He responds and I am pretty sure he has a similar nickname for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Names that go with his registered name:

Ibis
Alex
Argo
Aspen
Avery
Aslan
Avi
----
Names that fit his appearance:

Kalypso
Titan
Bramble
Maverick
Crucius
Red Wood
Fabius
Stormy
Chase
Fire
----
He's so beautiful!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm not good with names, so I can't help you there. I just had to tell you he is beautiful!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Wow! He's gorgeous! I say something masculine, such as Vince/Vance/Wolfgar... Maverick sounds good too! (My suggestions prob. don't match the pedigree-I haven't looked yet!) Good luck! :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions - Ali is cute, but it reminds me of the song from the Disney movie 'Aladdin' and it just does not seem to fit him. Trying to find something a bit more masculine, and that suits his personality a bit more. I thought of using the 'Desperado' angle and calling him by the name of a well-known outlaw like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Sundance Kid or Cole Younger, etc.

Thank you all for the kind comments on him, he is something special imho. :)
He turns 3 this summer, and i can't wait to start working with him more. He is a stallion still, and will remain so (as long as his behavior gives me no cause to change my mind) until he is at least 3, maybe 4. Depending how he looks/performs he may be kept intact. If he proves himself, i may consider breeding him to a mare or two in the very distant future.

@ Inga - yes, my kids were watching him run while i was recording him. They think i should call him Bolt - i said no way, don't want to jinx him or myself ;)

@ rookie - Lol - the nickname i can think of from his dam's name is a 3 letter word starting w/ a** and it fits him at times - but i can't be yelling that out loud :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.