The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to put together a first aid kit for my boy- figured it be a good idea to have one around just in case...
What I have on my list of things to get so far are:
Vetwrap
Gauze pads
Gauze wrap
Tongue depressors
Syringes (without needle- to flush wounds)
Epsom salt
Thermometer
Stethoscope
Scissors
Tweezers
Duct Tape
Disposable Diapers
Gloves
Small Towel
Hand Sanitizer
2-6" of rubber tubing
Flashlight
Saline Solution
Alcohol wipes
Betadine Scrub
Antibiotic Ointment
Bottled Water
Bag Balm
Disposable Ice Packs
KY Jelly
Vet and Farrier Contact #
and Address of the place he is at (in case I am in a panic and cannot remember)

Anything I am missing and should add to the list?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a huge list at home (which im still working on purchasing everything lol)- but it looks like you have most of the basics. I also have bloat-eze and asprin in my horse bin for mild colic.

Oh some of that white bandaging tape- can't think of the name. Epsome salts, those boot things for foot problems.. haha I'm sure some other people can pitch in more!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Kudos to you!

I don't have anything to add – that's a fine list you got there – except that petroleum jelly works too! :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have three different first-aid kits. One for each the tack room, horse trailer and my trail pack.

My most extensive one is the barn tack room----
gauze pads, rolls, and super absorbent gauze
ace bandages
vet wrap
tape-duck and cloth
syringes- large and small
needles
iv catheters and tubing
weight tape
stethoscope
thermometer
saline
erythromycin eye ointment
triple antibiotic ointment(large tube)
wound kote
nolvasan
swat fly repellent ointment
sutures
betadine
vet numbers
alcohol
blunt nosed scissors
scalpel
razor
gloves- small and surgical

In the horse trailer is basically the same items, but a smaller quantity and minus a few items. My idea is that it would patch my horse up and suffice for the drive to a vets office if I were away from home.--
gauze pads, rolls, and super absorbent gauze
ace bandages
vet wrap
tape-duck and cloth
syringes- large and small
needles
thermometer
saline
nolvasan
triple antibiotic ointment(large tube)
sutures
vet numbers
alcohol
blunt scissors
razor
flashlight

Last but not least, is the first aid kit I have in my saddle bag. It is small but I would be able to stop her bleeding and patch her up until we could get to help, or it could get to us.
As mentioned before, I usually trail ride alone and if something went terribly wrong, like she broke a leg, it would be nearly impossible to save her especially when we're 3-10 miles away from the trailer. I always carry a gun and would use it if I absolutely had to, in order to save her pain and suffering.--
Super absorbent gauze (3 packages)
triple antibiotic ointment
vet wrap (2 rolls)
Hand warmers
flashlight
knife
hoofpick
duck tape

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I do plan to make up a first aid kit for my saddle when I go trail riding, but I have a bit of time to put that together as he's not fully broke yet.
My boys boarded, and I realized the other day that there is no first aid kit there. I figure this is a good idea in case my horse, or someone elses, gets hurt, they will just be able to pick mine up and run. There are only two other boarders at the barn, and they are nice people, so I would have no problem with someone using it for their horse in an emergency as well. I want to get a bright red bag so its very noticable.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good for you for planning ahead!

At our Posse meeting earlier this week, we discussed this very thing. The difference was that it was a horse first aid kit to carry in a saddle bag for on the trail. A couple of suggestions that I thought were cool:
Depends undergarments (just the "pad" part)--very absorbent
Tampons (for puncture wounds)
A thermometer with a string attached to it & a clip attached to the other end, so you can clip it to your horse's tail & it doesn't fall into bedding or get sucked inside
Ballcap with a light attached to the brim
Banamine
Bute
Desitin or other diaper rash medicine

I work for a small animal vet & was asking him today about Bag Balm. He said it can have a burning sensation on open flesh, because it has something in it that burns to stimulate blood flow. He said it's good for applying to a bruise, but not something you would want to put in an open wound. I never knew that.

Also, you might want to put together a human first aid kit as well.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I would also add
Vetericyn (I really love that stuff)
Maxi pads (use for bandaging)
Sore no more poultice clay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.