The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have 2 mares that I have been working with for Western Pleasure for about a year now. One of them is very smart and thinks she has my number with her kicking out when we lope. Today, I taught her I was boss. My granny got in the middle of the ring with a whip and was my "gas and brakes". This finally stopped the kicking out. Then we thought of this, I ride her with a hackamore and have to swap to a bit by March. Last time we tried to swap, it went pretty good until we went to the bigger arena and she took off and braced against the bit so she wouldn't stop. It was fine at a walk and trot, but the lope was how I ended up on the ground with her kicking out. Now, we read the rules and I have to compete in the walk/trot/lope with her. Do y'all have any advice on how we can work through the bit? We have the kicking out fine now, but she has ALWAYS refused for a bit to be in her mouth. My other mare is perfectly ready for the show. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,151 Posts
If you are riding in western pleasure & you have to bridle the horse, it means you will have to neck rein. If your horse is 5 yrs old or younger, and you have bosal hackamore, you can still use that.

Reactions: Klassic Superstar

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My advice? Because you are having issues with this particular mare, she's not ready to show yet...keep her home and continue your training with her. Depending on which rules the show is using, if it's based on AQHA rules and this mare is 6 years old and over...she needs to be shown one handed in a shanked bit.

I would show the other mare because you said she is ready.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.